This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By SueCoastalObserver
All these Loons were seen at Blackie Spit in Surrey. Looking for clarification on the last one.

First is a Red-throated Loon I believe, slender long bill.
ImageRed-throated Loon - 094A9742a1c by Sue Coastal Observer, on Flickr

Next on a cold windy day a Common Loon, for comparison against the final Loon.
ImageCommon Loon - 094A1857a1c1 by Sue Coastal Observer, on Flickr

A few minutes later this final Loon came along, immediately struck me as different from the previous Loon. this one was a much paler color overall, including the thick bill which though not visibly yellow was more of an ivory color. Wondering if it could be a Yellow-billed Loon or am I just wishing for a new lifer?
Image??? 094A2114a1c by Sue Coastal Observer, on Flickr
By SueCoastalObserver
Thanks Mel, I thought for sure the first one was a Red-Necked, seemed to have such a "delicate" bill compared to some of the Common Loons. Went back and looked at lots of photos and realized there is a wide variation between one and another. I looked at the link as well as some other birding sites and books but I still don't see anything definitive . . . more experience needed I guess.
By birdergirl
Hi Sue,

Ok let's see if this helps.

So the bill on a Red-throated loon is much more delicate and thin than on the Common Loons you photographed. Even the first one has a much heavier bill in comparison. Also note the neck colour pattern on all your birds there is lots of black on the neck but on a Red-throated Loon there would be much more white in the winter plumage compared to the mainly dark coloured throat of a winter Common Loon. The neck is also thinner in comparison to the thicker Common Loon. The Red-throated Loon also holds his bill a bit upright in compared to a Common Loon who keeps it fairly straight. A Red-throated Loon also has a paler (whiter) coloured face than a Common Loon and a gray cap and nape in winter plumage. Note how dark your birds faces are in comparison. Also a Red-throated Loon in winter plumage has a dark gray back that has many white spots on it but a Common Loon does not.

Here is a photo of an almost full winter plumage Red-throated Loon. You can clearly see the differences I outlined above in comparison to your birds.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Cheers,
Mel

Along the Sandpipers theme, I had a couple hours t[…]

Buy Cocaine online | Buy Heroin Online | Buy Cryst[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Current list -- we are at 142 birds! Wow ... Have[…]

The annual Open House at OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Re[…]