This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By VAGAbond
I went out to Brunswick Point on May 31 to try to get a picture of the Bar-tailed Godwits that have been reported. I finally found them way off in the distance. They wandered towards me a bit allowing me to get some ID pictures. The following is a Bar-tailed Godwit I believe. Other views showed the upturned bill more clearly for this bird.

With the two Godwits was a third bird of the same size. The upturned bill of the Godwits was clearly visible when they showed a profile but this third bird had a very straight bill and it appeared very long. Try as I might to see the upturned bill it always appeared straight. This bird also had some buffy colouration but could that be a moulting male? My photos are not great because of the distance but here is one of the better ones.

Advice?
By BirdingBC
The bird in question looks like another bar-tailed godwit to me. For marbled godwit, I would expect to see more distinct streaking on the breast. For this bird, it looks more like the cleaner rufous coloured breast plumage might be emerging. Bill looks dark as well.

I checked the sightings reports and no other godwit species has been reported recently in the region.

Good Birding,

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]