This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By quadrakid
This gull just looked a bit different than the gulls i am used to viewing.Possibly a Thayers gull? Thanks for your input.ImageImage
By Jeremy Gatten
I don't know if you care for hints, but note that the leg colour is yellow. This rules out Thayer's (now rolled into Iceland Gull, sadly), Western, Herring, and Glaucous-winged. It leaves Mew, Ring-billed, and California as the expected options. I believe you can figure it out from there based on bill pattern.

Good birding,
Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, BC
By quadrakid
Thank you Jeremy.I should spend some time studying the local gulls.I tend to id mew gulls and bonapartes but lump the rest in as just plain gulls. Leg colour and bill marking and your help leads me to California gull. Hope i am right. Three field guides,i should get it.
By Jeremy Gatten
You got it - looking at bill pattern, leg colour, eye colour, mantle shade, primary (wingtip) colour/tone, and overall size is a solid foundation to gull identification.

Happy gulling,
Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, BC
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]