This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
This is tricky.

We know it is a sparrow, and probably a recently fledged one - or maybe a molt of some sort? I am sort of clueless when it comes to bird's plumage patterns.

I am leaning toward's one of the chunkier sparrows such as White Crowned or Golden Crowned, possibly White-Throated but in terms of rarity the chances are slim.

The pattern of the wing, which seems like the most developed part of this bird match Golden-Crowned quite well, and as Golden-Crowns are often the most numerous and easiest to see of the large chunkier sparrows here in the southwestern BC, the chances are probably the best for this one. The overall proportions, legs, beak and head look good as well.

I'll leave it to the experts on this one :D
It looks like a juvenile song sparrow to me. The colouration is like that of a song sparrow. It certainly is scrawny. I refer to the speckled white and brown breast and the lines or grey around the eyes.
I don't claim to be an expert but will chime in anyways.
Bert labeled his shot as a possible Chipping sparrow, maybe..
Here is a confirmed juvenile chipper from Maplewood in 2008 for comparison.
The beak looks not as chunky as Bert's bird though. Maybe Owlet and Mcrosbie are on to something.

I found a head shot from a different angle! The striped head rules out Chipping [I think?]. I'm leaning more toward White-crowned due to the beak colour, though it is MUCH duller in colour than any I have ever seen before [White or Golden-crowned!

Imagesparrow unk2 by BirderBert, on Flickr
When I looked at the photo my first inclination was that it was a "Z" sparrow, and likely a White-crowned. But I was puzzled by the chest stripes.

Then I checked the date that the photo was taken and noticed the annotation that it was taken in the Sunshine Coast area.

The second photo shows the gape, identifying it was a recently fledged bird.

So my conclusion is that it is a White-crowned Sparrow.
mcrosbie's "juvenile white-crowned sparrow near my home" looks like a full adult - black and white striped head.
BirderBert's juvenile Song Sparrow shows prominent white outer tail feather - I'll suggest Junco.
Several species of our sparrows have striped breasts that are lost fairly quickly after fledging.
Rokman wrote:mcrosbie's "juvenile white-crowned sparrow near my home" looks like a full adult - black and white striped head.
BirderBert's juvenile Song Sparrow shows prominent white outer tail feather - I'll suggest Junco.
Several species of our sparrows have striped breasts that are lost fairly quickly after fledging.
Good point about the white outer tail feathers, missed that before, junco makes more sense.
Yes, you are correct. my posted white-crowned sparrow is an adult male. It seemed to younger than others that visit my feeders. I don''t actually get many young or female birds at my feeders. I wonder why.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]