This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By MDB8
Ignore the names I have given the photos attached. The location is incorrect.

When I first saw this bird, I just thought it was a Swainson's Thrush and snapped a couple of photos before it disappeared from view. A couple of months later when Finalizing the images, I had second thoughts. The colour and spotting and possible eye ring bothered me. I checked the range map of another Thrush and found that indeed, it covers the area where I saw this bird. (Swainson's are almost everywhere.) This bird was seen within a few feet of the shore of a small lake. Some Thrushes like such environments.

Any comments?

By rawalker
Great photos. I'm sticking with Swainson's based on colouration and spectacles. :)
By MDB8
Actually this bird was seen "inland", in an area that is within the published range of the Veery. However, I now think it is a "Russet" Swainson's. I didn't hear any calls from it. The best location I have found to photograph the Veery is the boardwalk at Vaseux Lake. I regularly hear them at Road 22, but seldom see them.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.....
By MDB8
Half-way through Finalizing trip photos as taken with the Sony RX-10 camera when I came upon this photo taken at the same location as the Thrush above, on the same day. See how the spotting on this photo goes further down the chest than in the images at the top of this topic. This is how I expect a Swainson's Thrush to appear. The Veery has less spotting and is more brown... Puzzling.

2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]