This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By featherweight
During my road trip I came upon a few birds I need some i.d. help with:
This was on Road 22 near Osoyoos, at first I thought it was a juvenile Say's Phoebe because it was near an adult, but now I'm thinking maybe not??
Image?? Need i.d. help please! by featherweight2009, on Flickr
This was also in the Okanagan near Kelowna, I believe it may be a Black-chinned Hummingbird, but I'm not positive. Sorry for the poor quality - distant shots that are highly cropped.
ImageBlack-chinned Hummingbird? by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageBlack-chinned Hummingbird? by featherweight2009, on Flickr
And the last one, this was taken in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I was thinking Least Flycatcher?
ImageLeast Flycatcher? by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageLeast Flycatcher? by featherweight2009, on Flickr
Thanks so much for the help!
By birdergirl
Hi Debra,

I think the first one is indeed a willow flycatcher as Fancy said. An Alder flycatcher which looks almost identical would usually have more distinct and brighter white-coloured wingbars.

I agree that is a black-chinned hummingbird if you look at the tail feather tips it's indicative of a black-chinned instead of an Anna's. I think the purple throat is obscured at that angle.

I agree with you regarding the least flycatcher. The yellowish belly and the tiny bill, white eye-ring that gets wider behind the eye (usually more distinct unless they are juveniles), biggish head with white throat contrasting and the short notched tail with the white under-feathers all point to Least to me.

Cheers and thanks for sharing your great finds. What a great time you must have had on your vacation.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

GMcD: You have been a "machine"[…]