This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Found a great spot for Common Mergansers here in Kelowna, then, in editing for posting learned a couple of things: how to tell juvenile females from adults (the white face bar above the lower mandible indicates a juvie), and that some of these birds have a yellow ringed eye and some don't. No doubt there's a simple explanation for this, but I don't know it and didn't find a quick explanation with a Google search. Any authorities out there who can help with this?

The photos below illustrate what I'm writing about:

(Not the best shot, but we can clearly see the difference in the eyes of the birds.
Common Mergansers - juveniles

Less of a face bar here and no yellow eye ring:
Common Merganser - 4

These youngsters where cruising downstream when one nipped the other and caused a kerfuffle
whose aftereffect is still visible in the roiled water.
Common Mergansers - 5

Both juvies above have yellow eye rings.

Looking forward to your help!! :?
Hi Keith,

These are great shots!

The reason the one bird has a black eye with a little bit of white under the eye is because it is a female in non-breeding plumage. The ones with the yellow-ringed eyes are juveniles they also have the black edged white stripe which is noticeable in your great photos.

Hope this helps!

Cheers.
It's sort of the same with Hooded Mergansers. If you see a Hoodie with yellow eyes, even if it looks like a female, it's a young male. Females have dark eyes.
I found that out after I saw a merganser with yellow eyes and splashes of white on either side of it's face, like a female Bufflehead. I even wondered if it was a cross between a merganser and a Bufflehead, until someone told me that it was likely a juvi Hooded Merganser molting into adult male plumage.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]