This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Maybe it's the places you go because I see a lot of folks with just bins or scopes when I go to Reifel. Walking the dyke not so much but it makes sense when the birds aren't as numerous there.
Yes, I do both as well. Generally not at the same time though. I do often carry a camera of some type while I'm birding, but only as a means to documenting certain sightings. When I am birding, I am not thinking about taking photographs. And when I'm doing photography, I know I can't bird effectively, so I primarily concentrate on taking photos.

So, to answer your original question; No, I do not see birding shrinking as a result of the growth in bird photography. In fact, this website and a few owl and raptor stakeouts are the only places that I notice more photographers than birders.

Oh, and by the way, not all of us "serious birders" are concerned with listing....

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
Guy L. Monty wrote:Yes, I do both as well. Generally not at the same time though. I do often carry a camera of some type while I'm birding, but only as a means to documenting certain sightings. When I am birding, I am not thinking about taking photographs. And when I'm doing photography, I know I can't bird effectively, so I primarily concentrate on taking photos.

So, to answer your original question; No, I do not see birding shrinking as a result of the growth in bird photography. In fact, this website and a few owl and raptor stakeouts are the only places that I notice more photographers than birders.

Oh, and by the way, not all of us "serious birders" are concerned with listing....

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC

Well said Guy. I am not concerned with listing myself.

Birders are not becoming extinct I think more than ever more and more people are getting into birding and certainly having a camera can only enhance your birding adventures :).

I am more of a birder than photographer only started taking pictures 6 months ago but it's nice to incorporate both into our hobbies :).

Cheers,
Mel
Olympus13 wrote:I know there's people out there that are birders as well as photographers. I mean they kind of go hand in hand. But im talking about birders who only use bins or scopes, with a odd digiscope picture. I mean there definetely is some really knowledgeable birders out there who just do birdlists. But it almost seems like every knowledgeable birder out there has a dslr with a 300mm or 400mm to trot along to share there sightings. Just curious on what your thoughts on how birding has changed in last 10 yrs?
I've seen lots of change in the past 10 year, mainly due to technology. There are less of the cliche field naturalists (the guy or gal with binos, field guide, and a sketch book who is off the beaten path somewhere quietly observing birds), and more DATA birders with iPhones, digital checklist apps, cameras, and a live feed to the latest sightings. That is to be expected of course.

Birding has been a niche hobby and pastime and I know here as well as else ware, it is actually still growing. There are more people interested in observing and identifying birds than ever before.

So, birder's are not becoming extinct per se... new generations are entering the hobby and they don't look like the older generation. Enter the modern birders, the digital field naturalists, equipped with the latest observing and recording tools.

Maybe one thing that is being lost as we move forward here is a connection to nature and the subject. Technology, whether behind the lens or looking up call or id on an iphone, creates that window to look through--its a filter, an interrupt.

The previous generations had only manual tools and they had to rely on eyes and ears in real (natural) time. Gaining actual field experience and relying on your senses was a big part of the art of birding and I think this is being lost.

ps. For myself, I don't bother with a camera. I have binos and my ears. I probably should help science research by keeping a notebook but simply choose to walk, look, listen, and mentally record it all.
Admin wrote:
Olympus13 wrote:I know there's people out there that are birders as well as photographers. I mean they kind of go hand in hand. But im talking about birders who only use bins or scopes, with a odd digiscope picture. I mean there definetely is some really knowledgeable birders out there who just do birdlists. But it almost seems like every knowledgeable birder out there has a dslr with a 300mm or 400mm to trot along to share there sightings. Just curious on what your thoughts on how birding has changed in last 10 yrs?
I've seen lots of change in the past 10 year, mainly due to technology. There are less of the cliche field naturalists (the guy or gal with binos, field guide, and a sketch book who is off the beaten path somewhere quietly observing birds), and more DATA birders with iPhones, digital checklist apps, cameras, and a live feed to the latest sightings. That is to be expected of course.

Birding has been a niche hobby and pastime and I know here as well as else ware, it is actually still growing. There are more people interested in observing and identifying birds than ever before.

So, birder's are not becoming extinct per se... new generations are entering the hobby and they don't look like the older generation. Enter the modern birders, the digital field naturalists, equipped with the latest observing and recording tools.

Maybe one thing that is being lost as we move forward here is a connection to nature and the subject. Technology, whether behind the lens or looking up call or id on an iphone, creates that window to look through--its a filter, an interrupt.

The previous generations had only manual tools and they had to rely on eyes and ears in real (natural) time. Gaining actual field experience and relying on your senses was a big part of the art of birding and I think this is being lost.

ps. For myself, I don't bother with a camera. I have binos and my ears. I probably should help science research by keeping a notebook but simply choose to walk, look, listen, and mentally record it all.

Great post Kevin!

Cheers,
Mel
I would have to say that I am primarily a photographer. I have been an amateur photographer on a very limited budget since I first left home at the age of 19. When my children were growing up, I was the one who took photos of their activities and growth.

When I have been out walking and taking photos, I inadvertently started to take photos of birds. From there, about six months ago, I became very interested in the birds I was seeing along the way.

My mom was very interested in feeding the birds in her lovely rural yard in Royston, BC. I suppose her example influenced me also.
I think I have seen an increase in birder activity since I started about 15 years ago. The internet and phone technology has connected people interested in all aspects of the hobby. Personally I do a lot of listing and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I am terrible at photography and accept that. Even as a lister primarily I enjoy the birds along the way as well as a better connection with nature making it all the sweeter.
Rob
codarabbit wrote:I think I have seen an increase in birder activity since I started about 15 years ago. The internet and phone technology has connected people interested in all aspects of the hobby. Personally I do a lot of listing and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I am terrible at photography and accept that. Even as a lister primarily I enjoy the birds along the way as well as a better connection with nature making it all the sweeter.
Rob
you may be "terrible" at photography Rob but as a birder/lister, you are pretty awesome :)
I was a birder first and am starting to get into photography. I like having little goals and lists. My dad, sister and I go birding frequently. Sometimes we try to have a bird goal when we go out. If we go down to Osoyoos, it's usually seeing a chuckar. I also have many lists, BC list, AB list, house list, life list and now a photo list. They are far from professional right now. I don't ghibk birders are exctint though, we're getting my nieces and my daughter into birding and I've met quite a few young birders as well. I've actually found it seems to be becoming more popular than it was 10 years ago. Which is nice, especially with the development of social media.
My interest in birds and photography kind of bloomed at the same time, though I had more of a history with photography. I don't think I would get the same satisfaction out of birding without my camera. However, I would get no satisfaction from my pictures if I didn't know what they were of. I love the challenge of getting a great shot of any bird, and I love racking up my life list, and I love having cool experiences with any bird or observing interesting behaviour. For me, it is all too intertwined to separate how much is the birding and how much is the photography. I just love it. :wink:
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Very nice capture of the Pheobe. I went out looki[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]