This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By SueCoastalObserver
My son unknowingly mowed over a bird nest in our very long grass, the nest and eggs are all intact but off course the cover is gone. We placed some dead branches and leafy branches around it to hide it a bit and are now staying away. Is this the right thing to do?

Guessing it is a nuthatch nest, small white eggs with red speckles.
Went out after dinner tonight to see how the "shelter" was holding up. Yesterday we wanted to cover up the nest quickly and get out of sight and as a result perhaps didn't do the best construction job. I am a bit concerned, wondering if the big green leaves will droop down on top of her as they go limp, or drying up and falling off, I guess we will have to wait and see. I retrospect I should have cut off some fresh evergreen branches they would stay intact longer than the leafy branches. Tough to tell by this photo but it is a Junco sitting on the nest. Keeping our fingers crossed.
ImageDark Eyed Junco - IMG_0949ac1 by Sue Coastal Observer, on Flickr
Sadly, the Juncos and their eggs are gone with out a trace. We had a terrible hail storm last night that would of been so tough for the tiny little Junco to sit through and we do have raccoons which pass through the yard from time to time who may have come upon them and raided the nest. Life is not easy in nature but life does go on. I look out now through the window into the yard and see a Crow in the pine tree, a Flicker working at the suet feeder and a busy flock of Chickadees tripping from the feeder to the branches above and back down to the bird bath.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]