This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By Slabs
Wow! Yesterday late afternoon/evening I witnessed quite the most remarkable scene from the dyke in front of our house. But let me start from the beginning…

What with this past weekend's storm, once things quietened down late yesterday afternoon/early evening, I decided to take a walk on the dyke to see if a lot of new driftwood has, well, drifted in. Once on the dyke I noticed that the tide was unusually high: I assumed this was partly due to the storm surge plus a king tide at the moment. Probably about 250 – 300m south of our townhouse complex the water was very nearly right up to the dyke.

And then: another unusual sight: a multitude of seagulls milling around the tide line. I could not make out what this was all about but clearly SOMETHING was up: there were a couple of herons and eagles as well.

In spite of my (repeated!) oath to NEVER walk out to the dyke without my camera… yesterday I again walked out the house without my camera! It was already pretty dusky outside so I did not expect to be able to capture anything worthwhile in any case. Let that be a lesson to me.. AGAIN!! I tried doing a bit of video with my iPhone but that was clearly a waste of time. So I called my wife & asked her to grab my camera and bring it out.

Once I had a proper camera it soon became clear what the fuss was all about: gazillions of voles had to escape the rising water and, with no Noah and no Ark, they headed for higher ground ahead of the tide on foot. So they all ended up massed together in little patches of slightly higher ground/reeds/grasses.

And the seagulls were having a field day! Picking swimming voles out of the water, climbing voles out of the grasses, running voles off the ground: you name it, they got it! An absolute volian feast!

I got some somewhat OK video of the action: can be seen athttp://youtu.be/ZOyBVfMwg_E on Youtube. Unfortunately by the time I got my camera and finally figured out what was going on it was pretty dark, so the video is far from perfect. It was recorded and uploaded to Youtube in 4K resolution but I do not suppose many of you have access to that, but at least try watching it in HD to see the little voles swimming, diving desparately as the gulls approach, climbing the grasses etc. The video reminded me of an Asterix cartoon: there is always something happening in the background in every picture!

Not a good day to be a vole but the seagulls certainly were not complaining!
By birdergirl
Hi I saw that too this past week it was quite sad to see all the gulls, herons and crows picking at them and the poor voles struggling to survive and many drowned. I picked up a few on the path and hid them in the grasses. Many were stunned and soaking wet. I know it's nature but it was not pleasant to see or hear the little voles crying out and I felt sorry for them was a huge effort for those little ones who made it out of the water. Never seen so many voles like that all over the trail and on any piece of wood or straw above the water line. Like you said the birds sure were happy but the voles certainly were not.

Mel
By Slabs
Thanks guys.

Sue: just to clarify: the Youtube video is emphatically NOT from my iPhone: the video was taken with my FZ1000 which my wife brought out to me as the iPhone was next to useless for what I wanted to do. And as for the view: we live in a townhouse one row back from the dyke so no: that is unfortunately not our view. If only...

Isaac: Seeing that I wasn't there for that long I am not sure how many escaped. A guy I spoke with there said he had been there for quite some time and had seen very few voles escape over the dyke.

Mel: Classic case of one group's good fortune is another's disaster. It certainly must be tough that low down on the food chain, especially when a "natural disaster" like this happens. The good news for the vole population is that I really did not think that it was a significant part of the marsh that was submerged, so all in all I think it is a relatively small part of the overall vole population that suffered.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]