This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Hey guys...

A very quick and logic query to those who are pretty expertise in the birding. Soon I have to fly abroad and I thought of taking my pet bird (cockatiel parrot ) along with me for the business trip. Nahh, I'm not gonna carry him for all the meeting I'm attending but I can hang or place it somewhere in the hotel room. He need not have to stay home alone and die till a week. I have booked this live bird shipping box and the package is juz all set and on the way. I would like to know, how am I suppose to arrange the feeding and stuff for him in the box? Is there any specific set up that I'm suppose to make? Can someone help me out on this?
Guyzerr wrote:First post with a link to a product looks like ..................................

LOL, yeh, my first thought as well.
I gotta say though, why put your bird through that type of stress?
Does the box go into checked baggage? if so its pretty cold in the cargo hold.
All in all, travelling with your pet bird seems like not a good idea on many levels, just my two cents.
Um....... I can't for the life of me imagine anyone wanting to take Tweety on a trip but what I do know is someone will now think about it and buy one of those crates.

In a moment of seriousness, something difficult in this thread, I have to tell you about Spook. Spook was a Cockatiel I had for quite a few years. Very smart and learned many tricks and stunts. Loved cream sauce and mild cheddar cheese. Lived in a cage with the door open while the humans in the house were awake so she could come and go at will. We always thought she was a he until we found an egg at the bottom of her cage. Anywhoo...... we moved from Prince George to Calgary in '84 or '85 and Spook rode on my right shoulder tucked up against my ear every inch of the way. She did not need a crate. :mrgreen:
I miss that bird...........................
Guyzerr wrote:Um....... I can't for the life of me imagine anyone wanting to take Tweety on a trip but what I do know is someone will now think about it and buy one of those crates.

In a moment of seriousness, something difficult in this thread, I have to tell you about Spook. Spook was a Cockatiel I had for quite a few years. Very smart and learned many tricks and stunts. Loved cream sauce and mild cheddar cheese. Lived in a cage with the door open while the humans in the house were awake so she could come and go at will. We always thought she was a he until we found an egg at the bottom of her cage. Anywhoo...... we moved from Prince George to Calgary in '84 or '85 and Spook rode on my right shoulder tucked up against my ear every inch of the way. She did not need a crate. :mrgreen:
I miss that bird...........................
I had a budgie when i was a kid and i loved that bird, eventually it got so tame it would ride on my shoulders and the door to the cage was always left open as well, so, i can relate :)
Same when I was young I had Cockatiels, a Quaker Parrot (Monk Parakeet), Lovebirds, Budgies and a Canary. My dad taught me how to clip their wings and take care of them. My Monk Parakeet would talk to us too. Now that I'm older I can't imagine caging a bird but I sure did love them and their unique personalities and the bond we would create. One day a yellow Cockatiel flew into our backyard and after putting up posters around the neighbourhood I kept him till he was old and passed away. I loved that bird so much he would sit on my shoulder and go everywhere with me just like yours Guy and Paul.

Cheers,
Mel
revs wrote: I had a budgie when i was a kid and i loved that bird, eventually it got so tame it would ride on my shoulders and the door to the cage was always left open as well, so, i can relate :)
Not meaning to brag but I can " train " a budgie to sit on my finger and stay calm in about 10 minutes. I stumbled on that after getting frustrated trying to catch one to put to bed at night. That's the only time I would shut the cage door on any bird I had. After that we moved on to simple " tricks ", finger and whistle commands. I was really captivated by that and their intelligence.
birdergirl wrote:Same when I was young I had Cockatiels, a Quaker Parrot (Monk Parakeet), Lovebirds, Budgies and a Canary.
Cheers,
Mel
I always wanted a pair of Zebra Finches cuz they look so darn nice. I never got them because I don't think they would be very trainable and I want my birds to be more than a Christmas decoration.
birdergirl wrote:Sue you are so cute! Thanks for sharing.

Having pets as children really does help one to be empathetic to animals in adulthood.

Hey you know what guys? It's cool we hijacked this thread from the hijacker lol.

Cheers,
Mel
yeh, we did didn't we :lol:
Shipping live birds by air can be a major headache. Many airlines do not accept them and those that do may have stringent boxing requirements. Don't even think about transiting the USA with a bird. One parrot I sent to Toronto nearly froze to death on the tarmac.

Much better to keep the bird at home and get a bird sitter to drop by or leave it with them.

John Tabak
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]