This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
I have got several complaint emails at the Bird Alert about the recent daily harassment of a particular Barn Owl in the Lower Mainland. I have chosen not to disclose the location for the protection of the owl. Some people who witnessed the behavior (of some individuals), were so concerned that they called a Conservation Officer, who will be following up on the issue. I want to stress that this message is not directed at all photographers, as there are many who are behaving ethically around this owl.

First of all, hunting in the daytime is not normal behavior for a Barn Owl. The owl is desperate for food due to the winter snow and is starving. It is most likely weak and perhaps sick. It also seems to be reluctant to fly more than necessary, since it is letting people approach it so closely.

Some photographers are 15 feet or less from the owl and/or running and chasing after the owl causing it to flush. This is totally unacceptable and this is not an adequate distance for the owl. The owl needs room to hunt, especially under such desperate circumstances. Human encroachment in the marsh can cause potential displacement of the owls from more productive hunting areas, which may result in reduced prey capture.

Similarly, increased vigilance due to the presence of humans may result in less focused hunting, stress and reduced prey capture. In blunt terms people who get too close to this owl may be killing it, without knowing it. It takes an incredible amount of energy for an owl to hunt, especially during the winter. If you see this owl hunting for food, I urge you to please stay off the marsh and to stay on the dyke and let it hunt without stress, for the sake of the bird. It is your legal right to be in the marsh but it is illegal to harass or stress an owl and disturb or prevent its hunting process.

The Short-eared Owls also need to have space to hunt, especially at winter time when they work twice as hard for their meal. They are diurnal though, unlike nocturnal Barn Owls and can regulate their body temperature better than a Barn Owl. However, it would also be in their best interest to stay off the marsh and photograph/view them from the dyke as well, since their food is in such high competition with Northern Harriers and since they roost on the ground. It is especially problematic when large groups of people walk through the marsh because the likelihood of accidentally flushing a roosting owl increases, which can cause unnecessary energy expenditure at a time when it is important for them to conserve energy.

Every time a Barn Owl plunges in the snow for food and misses a meal, it is detrimental to its health. It is not like a Great Gray Owl for example that is built for the snow. When a Barn Owl’s feathers get wet, it cannot regulate its body temperature and can easily get hypothermia. This is why there is such a high mortality rate of Barn Owls in the winter time.

Barn Owls in BC are protected federally under the Species at Risk Act (SARA) and provincially under the British Columbia Wildlife Act.

I urge everyone to use ethical viewing and photography practices when it comes to this and all Owls. It is a privilege to see them not a right. We should all do our part, so that these special birds can persist in their limited habitat, despite the many pressures they face.

Melissa

(Topic has been locked by Admin to prevent any detractions from the message, which is the safety of the owl.)

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]