This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By VAGAbond
The Snow Geese have moved decisively into Richmond. A few years back they started landing in the middle of larger park and school ground lawns. Then they worked closer to the boundaries of those fields, then onto the boulevard margins. This year they have moved onto residential streets and lawns.

Snow Geese by brian avent, on Flickr

They are even becoming a traffic hazard. Several times I have seen drivers have to push through the flocks as though through a herd of sheep. In the last picture below taken today, the geese reclining on the road wouldn't get out of the way of the muni truck when approached, even after horn blowing. The driver had to get out, you can see the door opening, and shoo the birds away and they moved back almost before he could drive on!

ImageUrban Snow Geese by brian avent, on Flickr
By Jeremy Gatten
That is absurd - I have heard that the Snow Goose population is above carrying capacity for the coastal marshes, so maybe we'll see more and more of this if the numbers continue to increase like they have in recent years.

Thanks for sharing - I was not aware of this recent phenomenon!

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, BC
By BirdingBC
That's crazy to see the Snow Geese in urban streets. Can't think if anywhere else this is happening. This is probably a news story waiting to be picked up.
By VAGAbond
When it first started people would go and get their cameras, or at least stop their cars to look. Now a flock of hundreds on the margin of the road hardly rates a glance as it is a daily occurrence. .

They will be gone for the summer in a couple of weeks.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]