This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By mikeschmeee
I was going through some old photographs and I came across this cormorant. I noticed these odd bumps on both sides of its neck. I'm wondering if the bird was sick? Reminds me of when seeing images of ticks attached to dogs.
I'm curious to know, any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Mike
By mikeschmeee
Since this is an old image and even though I still see cormorants at the same place where this image was taken, I will not report it if needed. However, my next question is, should this sort of thing be reported in order to help the animal? I know ticks are not a good thing but just wondering if I see this again on a wild animal, is it hopeless and should be left alone or report it so the animal could be helped and also not to spread the ticks? Just wondering...

Thanks!
By esle9
mikeschmeee wrote:Since this is an old image and even though I still see cormorants at the same place where this image was taken, I will not report it if needed. However, my next question is, should this sort of thing be reported in order to help the animal? I know ticks are not a good thing but just wondering if I see this again on a wild animal, is it hopeless and should be left alone or report it so the animal could be helped and also not to spread the ticks? Just wondering...

Thanks!
If you are ever wondering about a possibly sick bird, you can call the wildlife helpline at the Wildlife Rescue Association of BC, and they will be able to assess if the bird should be brought in. Parasites are relatively normal for wild birds and usually not worth the stress of capture, unless if the bird is acting very weak they might need help.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]