This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
‘Big Year birding’ refers to an activity in which a birder attempts to list as many species of birds as they can, within a specified area, in one calendar year. A Big Year may cover any area, but a Big Year in a big area requires considerable time, planning, energy, and lots of $$$, which means that only a very few get to play the game. But a Big Year that is restricted to a single checklist area is effectively open to a much larger number of potential participants, and that is exactly what appears to be happening in our local scene.

Birders who submit their sightings to eBird are likely aware that eBird automatically keeps track of everyones’ personal lists - including their Year List. By opening up eBird on the internet, and selecting the following sequence: Explore Data - Explore a Region - Metro Vancouver - Current Year - set’, a list of the ‘Top 10’ year eBirders will appear at right, as seen here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/CA- ... geDate=Set.
Another click will bring up the ‘Top 100’. A quick look at the Top 10 will reveal two things: the personal totals are quite impressive, having recently swelled immensely due to spring migration, and a handful of the front-runners have remarkable totals - several having passed the 200-mark before the end of May. No-one seems to have openly declared that they are doing an all-out Big Year Vancouver, but the fact is, we have one heck of a race taking place here!

Why do a Big Year? Mostly it’s a matter of personal satisfaction. Many just like to see how they are doing, and others bask in the competition. Until recently there was no tangible reward, but now there is something worth striving for. Anyone who tallies 250 birds in the Metro Vancouver Checklist area can get their name placed on a big fancy trophy - read all about it here:
https://rokman61.wordpress.com/2017/06/ ... ing-award/.
For local listing enthusiasts, it's approximately the equivalent of getting your name on the Stanley Cup (albeit perhaps somewhat less recognized).

Carlo Giovanella, Cloverdale fella
well behind the leaders
eBird makes it so much easier to do a local big year. Now that I have my setup (using the ol' cell phone and ebird app), I find I enjoy going out and tallying birds I find. I am not committed to a big year but I seem to be wandering one bush further to see if I can get one of the missing species for my year list.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]