This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By Guyzerr
About 4 weeks ago I purchased a birdbath and set it up near my hanging feeders as you see in the shot. Since then because I haven't been receiving any visitors other than one Goldfinch sitting on the edge and a crow drinking from it a few times I have moved it to various spots. Right now it's on the other side of the fence with some tree branches very near it. Those branches are resting spots for Chickadees and Junco's etc. The new location isn't drawing any visitors either. I have moved it 15 feet away and placed to in the open. That didn't work so I moved it closer to a blueberry bush. Nope... that didn't work. Either these birds have bad hygiene habits or they hate that thing.
I have taken the phony metal bird out of the middle and replaced it with a big rock they can use as a beach or diving board.

I've had a birdbath before when I lived in Manitoba and it was constantly in use and I enjoyed watching it a lot so if anyone has some genuine ideas I sure would appreciate hearing them.
Thanks......................

By BirdingBC
I have not had any luck with my birdbath however I am thinking of adding a simple drip line to slowly drip into the bath--understand that works well.
By Lee Sollenberger
It looks like a deep dish,try putting a flat stone in the bath as smaller song birds will use it.I use a dish from a potted plant and it's only 2"deep 18"wide,and everyone use's it all day long.Also try putting the bath in the center of the lawn, but close enough to cover..A large plant dish at a nursery cost about 5 bucks and you can put it inside yours..Depth of water does matter..

Good luck
Lee
By Guyzerr
Lee Sollenberger wrote:It looks like a deep dish,try putting a flat stone in the bath as smaller song birds will use it.I use a dish from a potted plant and it's only 2"deep 18"wide,and everyone use's it all day long.Also try putting the bath in the center of the lawn, but close enough to cover..A large plant dish at a nursery cost about 5 bucks and you can put it inside yours..Depth of water does matter..

Good luck
Lee
All good Ideas except for placing it in the middle of the lawn. I live on a farm and want to be able to watch it without using binos. I have moved it to 3 different sopts all to no avail so I'm thinking it must be the bath itself.

I love the idea of the potted plant dish to raise the bottom up. We have a million of assorted ones here and I never gave that any thought.

This is what it looks like now. I did have to of those rocks in it but I removed one.

By Guyzerr
BirdingBC wrote:I have not had any luck with my birdbath however I am thinking of adding a simple drip line to slowly drip into the bath--understand that works well.
I'm not sure I could hang it without a sky hook or coming up with some sort of pole hanger thingy.

Apparently moving water really helps. In Manitoba I didn't need anything other than the bath. It was in use from morning to night and it was a deep concrete one.
By BirdingBC
Since last post, I did a test by hanging a jug full of water with a pin-hole above the bath and it now slowly drips into the bath.

Only critters I have been able to attract so far have been one marooned ant (he got stuck on the flat rock in the middle), and a few wasps.

I am thinking of setting up an instructional video next to the birdbath as my yard birds still don't get it. On the other hand, both my peanut feeder and hummingbird feeder have a line-up of customers.
By Lee Sollenberger
Guyzerr wrote:
Lee Sollenberger wrote:It looks like a deep dish,try putting a flat stone in the bath as smaller song birds will use it.I use a dish from a potted plant and it's only 2"deep 18"wide,and everyone use's it all day long.Also try putting the bath in the center of the lawn, but close enough to cover..A large plant dish at a nursery cost about 5 bucks and you can put it inside yours..Depth of water does matter..

Good luck
Lee
i have two bird baths in my yard,one is aa large dog dish with a rock sumerged inch below water line.All birds go to either one the plant dish is a favorite for most with a rock just below water line..For my hawk I use an oil plastic pan.no rock as he is bi enough to stand in it and he has had the for 20 years..Or stick a fence pole in the ground at four feet cut a round out of plywood 20" put the plant dish on it and the rock close to the edge. Works for me.
Lee
By Guyzerr
BirdingBC wrote:Since last post, I did a test by hanging a jug full of water with a pin-hole above the bath and it now slowly drips into the bath.

Only critters I have been able to attract so far have been one marooned ant (he got stuck on the flat rock in the middle), and a few wasps.

I am thinking of setting up an instructional video next to the birdbath as my yard birds still don't get it. On the other hand, both my peanut feeder and hummingbird feeder have a line-up of customers.
I tried making a dripper out of a plastic bottle but haven't managed to make a small enough hole so it empties quick like a bunny. I even use the smallest sewing needle we had in the house and heated it before I inserted it into the plastic.

I've changed it up a bit but forgot to take a pic. I'll do that tomorrow.
By BirdingBC
For my dripper, I have a pinhole as well--not heated, just rammed the needle through the plastic at a bottom corner. I used pliers to grip the needle--without then, my first attempt went a bit into my thumb and created a blood dripper. I figured a bird blood bath would probably not be very well received so consulted the toolbox for my next attempt.

I did some adjustments to it as at first the pinhole was too big. I actually took a lighter to the plastic to close it up a bit--that worked too well however I was able to re-work the pinhole again and got it just right.

So, when filled, it streams out a tiny stream of water. After a few minutes, that stream turned into fast drip and that slows as the water empties. My dipper is a milk jug and I have the top screwed on so as water empties, the back pressure slows the drip. The jug will drip for a full 24hrs now.

So, for effectiveness, I have established wasp and bug customers. Maybe the bath will attract a bird at some point.

Good Birding,
By Lee Sollenberger
BirdingBC wrote:For my dripper, I have a pinhole as well--not heated, just rammed the needle through the plastic at a bottom corner. I used pliers to grip the needle--without then, my first attempt went a bit into my thumb and created a blood dripper. I figured a bird blood bath would probably not be very well received so consulted the toolbox for my next attempt.

I did some adjustments to it as at first the pinhole was too big. I actually took a lighter to the plastic to close it up a bit--that worked too well however I was able to re-work the pinhole again and got it just right.

So, when filled, it streams out a tiny stream of water. After a few minutes, that stream turned into fast drip and that slows as the water empties. My dipper is a milk jug and I have the top screwed on so as water empties, the back pressure slows the drip. The jug will drip for a full 24hrs now.

So, for effectiveness, I have established wasp and bug customers. Maybe the bath will attract a bird at some point.

Good Birding,
Kevin, For what it cost to buy a large plastic plant dish,it is worth it..you will attract birds in no time..You can even place it on a large stump and the little guys show up in no time..Try it..just add water a flat rock and away you go.
Lee
By Caprichoso
I'm not sure if you found a solution, but all I use is a glazed terra cotta plant saucer, it's about 10" in diameter, and about 2" deep. Other than the hummingbirds(they use my water fountain), all sorts of birds use it, for drinking and bathing; Robins, doves, flycatchers, warblers, sparrows, woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees, finches, etc. I leave it out all winter too, and it hasn't broken yet. It's all really easy to clean and sanitize.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]