This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By MDB8
Today (14th) at Burnaby Lake I spotted a female Hooded Merganser catch something quite large. I saw lots of legs and what looked like claws. I couldn't figure out what it was. The Merganser seemed to have some trouble with the bug but also (as almost always) was concerned about her mate taking it from her and she fled with her prize.

Someone saw the photo on my Flickr page and said it was probably a Giant Water Beetle. I had never heard of such a bug, but looked it up on Google. Creepy looking. I don't recall ever seeing one as a child in Vancouver. I can remember getting bit by a Dragonfly Nymph while wading in a pond, but never saw anything like this.

Are they uncommon? Something new to the area? A bug introduced from elsewhere?

Also, a week or so ago, I spotted a Gull at Burnaby Lake picking up what looked like a clam shell and flying off with it. At the time I was puzzled by what it was, but now think it was an empty Giant Water Beetle carapace. (I have photos of it too.)
Yes, it's a giant water bug (Lethocerus americanus), known locally as the "Toe Biter". They are well known for inflicting painful bites on those who wade in muddy ponds. They are native in BC, and are quite common. Using minnow traps to survey wetlands, they are one of the more common insects captured.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
By Hoss
Guy's totally right. These guys are incredibly predatory and can be a real pain when trying to capture fish with a minnow trap, they have a habit of entering the trap and eating sticklebacks and other small fish the researcher's trying to capture.
Pretty cool photo

Along the Sandpipers theme, I had a couple hours t[…]

Buy Cocaine online | Buy Heroin Online | Buy Cryst[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Current list -- we are at 142 birds! Wow ... Have[…]

The annual Open House at OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Re[…]