Greater Victoria, Gulf Islands, Cowichan Valley, Nanaimo and Centrial Island, Port Alberni, Tofino, North Island
By Mike
Hi all

I'm new to Nanaimo (and new here). Is there anything like a migration calendar for migrating birds that visit Vancouver Island? Something to indicate which birds to expect when.

Mike
By Jeremy Gatten
Hi Mike,

I would recommend visiting the Backyard Wildbird and Nature Store in Nanaimo (6314 Metral Dr, Nanaimo, BC V9T 2L8) and seeing what they have for regional checklists. You would want a checklist that has weighted bars (i.e., thick bar for common and dashes for uncommon/rare species, plus dots for isolated records of very rare species), so hopefully they have some like that for the area. I know there is a checklist for the Parksville-Qualicum area, which would suit you just fine, but if there is a Nanaimo checklist that is obviously better for your needs. Victoria also has a checklist and I would recommend having multiple checklists because it will just round out your understanding of what could conceivably be passing through the area.

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, BC
By Mike
The Species Occurrence List is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for that.

And I'll have to check out the Nature Store.

Mike

I’m confused. How many years ago was this?

Yup, Stilt Sandpiper.

GHO from this morning.

Lovely shots, Keith.

Canon T6i ( Body only )

WOW... Just a few hours and I'm not able to edit. […]