Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Nov 20 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Fox Sparrows in the Georgia Basin
PostPosted: Jun 08 6:28 pm 

Hi there,

My name is Dominic and I'm working as a research assistant at the University of British Columbia, and part of my research this summer is working to identify resident populations of fox sparrows in the Georgia Basin. While these birds are common in winter, they're much rarer (and, we think, more recent) as breeders; despite this, we have evidence that some populations in the area are fully resident, contrary to the expected migratory strategy in most fox sparrow populations.

In order to gain more information on where we can find breeding populations, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could share any info on if they have ever seen fox sparrows anywhere in the area of around Victoria up to Nanaimo in the months of May, June, or July. Were there fox sparrows singing there, and if so, were they common? Are there any areas you can think of around your locality where you know of singing fox sparrows? Anything you might know on the subject would be immensely helpful. 

Thanks very much for your time, and please let me know if you have any more questions about my research.

Post subject: Re: Looking for Fox Sparrows in the Georgia Basin
PostPosted: Jun 12 12:06 am 

I think you have a very challenging project. I live in Courtenay and have only seen a fox sparrow at my feeder in the fall in 2014. I have never seen one since. Good luck, Dominic.

PostPosted: Jun 12 11:55 am 

Using ebird you can see where recent Fox Sparrow sighting have been.

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/foxspa?neg=t ... 7&eyr=2017

PostPosted: Jun 12 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

There has been some chat on BCVIBIRDS. Data might be lean but people have been suggesting eBird and the Breeding Bird Atlas (http://www.birdatlas.bc.ca/). Maybe, with luck, some keen birders will spot a few this spring/summer.

Good Birding,