Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Sep 02 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Field Guide for Vancouver Island
PostPosted: Dec 21 7:16 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have just moved to Victoria from Australia and plan to get involved in a bit of bird watching while I'm here.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the most helpful bird field guide is for this area. I may travel in the future, but for the moment I will be birding mostly on the island.

Cheers,
Will

Post subject: Re: Best Field Guide for Vancouver Island
PostPosted: Dec 23 10:42 pm 
Intermediate Member

Hi Will, personally I would recommend Sibley's Field Guide to Birds of Western North America, or if you want broader coverage go for his whole North America guide. The National Geographic field guide has lots of fans, so you might want to check that out too.
See the Victoria Natural History Society website at http://vicnhs.bc.ca/ to download the Victoria area checklist and for local birding info.

Welcome!

Jon

PostPosted: Dec 24 6:44 am 

Thanks very much Jon.

I have seen this guide before and thought it may have been the go. Hopefully I will get to start ticking some birds off the list from the Victoria Natural History Society website in the New Year.

Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Dec 25 1:03 pm 

I recommend Sibley's guide to Birds of Western North America (Varied Thrush on front Cover) and Birds of Southwestern British Columbia (Small yellow pocket book with Pileated Woodpecker on cover). Both together very useful for the region.

PostPosted: Dec 27 11:37 am 
Veteran Member

Will,

As others have said the Sibley guides are good. I personally like the National Geographic guide to the bird of North America. I also like the Peterson guide (I have the western North America version). I would have a look at all three of them (you can usually find them in any decent bookstore). The style of the descriptions, layout and paintings are a bit different, but any of these three will serve you well.

Also, as Steven Roais said, the Victoria Natural History Society puts out a very helpful checklist for the area. It is $2 and is probably easiest to get at the Swan Lake Nature Center (otherwise just contact the VNHS to order one). The VNHS also leads lots of field trips (for birds and otherwise) and we do presentations September through April (4 per month).

Cheers

Christina
Victoria, BC

PostPosted: Dec 29 1:15 pm 

I agree, Sibleys field guide is the best, its also available as an app on the iphone, or ipod touch that includes all the book data, and bird calls etc.
Good birding.

PostPosted: Jan 03 11:46 pm 

I've had a look at a few of them today. Has anyone had much experience with 'Birds of British Columbia' by Cambell and Kennedy? (http://www.lonepinepublishing.com/cat/9781551052281). It looks pretty decent.

The Peterson guide also looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Jan 06 10:45 am 
Intermediate Member

[quote="will89"]I've had a look at a few of them today. Has anyone had much experience with 'Birds of British Columbia' by Cambell and Kennedy? (http://www.lonepinepublishing.com/cat/9781551052281). It looks pretty decent.[/quote]

Don't get the Campbell & Kennedy book for identification. It has a lot of other useful information, but is terrible as an ID guide. I'd recommend sticking with Nat. Geo. (the new 6th edition just came out) or Sibley. Peterson is good, especially for beginners, but has some serious limitations.

Enjoy birding the island!
Nathan Hentze

PostPosted: Jan 10 12:06 pm 
Veteran Member

When I took a beginners birding course with VNHS, I learned that everyone has a personal favorite field guide (mine is Sibleys), usually the one that you first learned with. Although mine is now stained and falling to pieces, it will remain my favorite for this reason. :)

Deborah
Malahat, B.C.

PostPosted: Jan 11 7:25 pm 

Depending on what you like, If you want a guide for all of North America, there is a field guide called "Field Guide to Birds of North America" which is by Edward S. Brinkley. It is a good guide for identfication.

See sample page here

World Life List: 642
World Year List: 337
BC Year List: 247

Main photography gear:
Canon EOS 60D
Canon EF 400mm f5.6L USM
Click here for a full list of my gear

Links
Website + blog
Photo gallery
Flickr