Cache Creek, Merrit, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton, Osoyoos, Grand Forks
By borg2
I am not a birder. At our place in silver Star Mountain a number of birds(about 15) have been in the trees outside the window. They are red bodies, red heads and black/brown wings. Never seen before. Mid winter, lots of snow. they are quite big almost as big as the Stellars Jay that are also there. I believe they look like the Vermillion flycatcher. Apparently if they are they are not supposed to be this far North. they have appeared for the past 2 weeks almost daily. took me forever to try to identify them as did not think of word 'vermillion"/ hope it is spelled right. Is it possible that these are the birds, sorry no pictures.
By Birder2000
Or Purple Finch, or House Finch?

It would be a shock to see a Vermillion Flycatcher this far north, never mind 15. Also, there are very small, not near the size of a Steller's Jay. This is a Vermillion Flycatcher:

I hope this helps! :)
By borg2
rawalker wrote:Could they be pine grosbeaks, red crossbills, or white-winged crossbills?

Randy - Langley
rawalker wrote:Could they be pine grosbeaks, red crossbills, or white-winged crossbills?

Randy - Langley
thanks for your reply.
I think from pictures that this is a Red Crossbill. Makes more sense to this area. Although have not seen them in the past.
they are not as brilliant red as pictures of the vermillion flycatchers.
By borg2
Thank you so much for your picture, definitely not as red your pic. It has been suggested that it might be a Red Crossbill and I assume that it is.. Looking at pictures of them. Very interesting to have so many and not have seen them before.

I know we already have a beautiful picture of a fe[…]

Hummingbird live cam

Congrats on making the news! Saw you on TV this e[…]

What is a Birder?

Here is my take: I believe the difference is simp[…]

Assignment: The Duck Pond 2021

As it thaws here in Kelowna, I'll definitely hit a[…]