Revelstoke, Trail, Nelson, Kimberley, Cranbrook, Kootenays
I am a scientist working with the U.S. Geological Survey and will be visiting the Canadian Rockies this summer to capture white-tailed ptarmigan for a study examining genetic differences across the species' range (the birds will be released unharmed).

If anyone has tips regarding good spots to find white-tailed ptarmigan, I would greatly appreciate hearing them! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

- Katie
Thanks! I was planning on going up the Jasper tram because there are a lot of eBird sightings at the top. It's good to hear confirmation that that's a good plan.

As for BC parks, there are more eBird sightings in Yoho so I was planning on going there instead of Kooteney (the latter park didn't have any eBird sightings). If you know of any specific locations in Kootenay NP that would be good, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
Hey Katie,

No problem!! If you are heading into AB try Bow Summit above the tree line.

Regarding Kootenay a lot of hikers and people see the white chickens but don't report them on ebird unfortunately. They are definitely there try Mount Kindersley above the tree line ! My friend has had some good success up there. Also, Mount Assiniboine has been known to have them as well.

Good luck at Yoho and hope you find many ptarmies!

Cheers,
Mel
Try Canoe Mountain, which is south-southeast of Valemont BC, visible from the town. There is a microwave tower on top, with a graded road leading to it. Above tree-line are extensive areas of alpine meadow - ideal habitat for White-tails. If you can get access to that road, you should find more than you could ask for. (At least it was like that when I went there in 1969 to collect rock samples).
Rokman

After some tough thinking, I decided to dump Cano[…]

We finally got a break in the weather (at least fo[…]

Unknown Bird At Iona Beach Outer Pond

Alright, thank you very much for your expertise!

Thanks, Judy, for the info. Now that you have give[…]