Revelstoke, Trail, Nelson, Kimberley, Cranbrook, Kootenays
By GMcD
On vacation in Kaslo and the first two hour walk just along Kaslo Bay yielded some good birding and butterflies. As this is a Birding Site, I'll post the bird photos from today. Hopefully I can also get up to the airstrip and see if the Mountain Bluebirds are back again, as well as track down the Lazuli Buntings I saw last year.

Today's birds were a Grey Catbird and a small group of Nashville Warblers.

Grey Catbird

Nashville Warbler

Another shot of a Nashville Warbler
By GMcD
Thanks- I first thought I'd caught some MacGillivray's Warblers till I looked at the photos and went "hey wait a minute!", so that was a nice surprise to catch the Nashville Warblers. Today was the usual local birds- Western Wood Pewee, Ravens, Crows, a pair of Osprey patrolling the bay, the clan of Canada Geese at the park in Kaslo Bay, a Yellow Rumped Warbler (Audubon), lots of Violet-Green Swallows, and the local Catbird pair that I believe have returned to nest in the area.

Lots of fun butterflies as well- Three varieties of Tiger Swallowtails - Canada, Western, and Pale types, Northern Crescents, Painted Ladies, Satyr Comma, Mourning Cloaks, Lorquins Admirals, Dreamy Duskywing, European Skippers, and I saw a couple of unidentified Sulphurs flit by without stopping. I was also lucky enough to get some decent photos of a Western Monarch Butterfly on Osoyoos at an overnight stop there.
By GMcD
Had another couple hours on my own after a day of touring, and spent an hour and a half up at the airstrip in the late afternoon - seen the weather reports lately? 35C in the shade...I found some shade and kept the wandering to a minimum to keep from having heat stroke. I did find a Lazuli Bunting, but just the female this time, plus a cooperative Chipping Sparrow and a small group of Cedar Waxwings. Even the birds were panting. No Bluebirds this time, but I know they are around. I have a few more days of birding that I can use, so maybe next week if the heat dies down a bit.

Lazuli Bunting Female

Cedar Waxwing

Chipping Sparrow
By GMcD
Had another couple hours to explore around town and saw many birds, got semi-decent photos of a few. Birds from the last two days include Turkey Vultures, Coopers Hawk, many Chipping Sparrows, Lincolns Sparrows, Robins, Ravens, Crows, Violet-Green Swallows, Chickadees, Lazuli Bunting, Cedar Waxwing, Common Mergansers, Killdeer, American Dipper, and a Bald Eagle.

Lincolns Sparrow, looks like a juvenile.

Bad record picture of the male Lazuli Bunting, my nemesis bird for this next week. Twice now I've had a great photo lined up and they fly off just as the camera focus beeps, this one went to an adjacent tree where it was backlit, but what the heck. I'll keep trying.

Bald Eagle guarding a nest up on a back road west of Kaslo.
By GMcD
July 5th- had three hours to do some hiking up at Fish Lake, tooling around the old Wagon Trail as well as some old trails at the west end of the lake there. Saw an American Redstart, Yellow Warblers, Orange Crowned Warblers, Warbling Vireos, Huttons Vireo, Robins, a singing Song Sparrow, and a family of Goldeneye on the lake.

Also saw many Fritillary butterflies, lots of Northern Crescents, an Anise Swallowtail, and a Pale Swallowtail butterfly. For those interested in the butterfly pictures, one can see what I've posted on my Flickr Photostream here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25889519@N08/

Lots of Horseflies and Deerflies buzzing around, trying to take a pound of flesh at every chance. Not as horribly, stinking hot as earlier this week, but still time to hydrate and get back to a cooler spot by mid-afternoon.

A happily singing Song Sparrow

Mother Goldeneye on Fish Lake

The new brood of Goldeneye duckilngs

After some tough thinking, I decided to dump Cano[…]

We finally got a break in the weather (at least fo[…]

Unknown Bird At Iona Beach Outer Pond

Alright, thank you very much for your expertise!

Thanks, Judy, for the info. Now that you have give[…]