Revelstoke, Trail, Nelson, Kimberley, Cranbrook, Kootenays
Hi Everbody - It's my first time on the forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information. Myself and the wife are holidaying on the west coast of Canada in September and I have several target birds that I'm keen to see. These are Varied Thrush, Blue Grouse, Gray Jay, Clarkes Nutcracker, American Dipper and any Auklets if possible.
We are spending time in Vancouver and on Vancouver Island and also plan visiting Banff, Jasper and maybe Whistler.
Any reliable sites for these birds would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Phil Jones (English Birder)
By revs
I think you have a good chance for almost all of those species especially if you are hitting up Banff, Jasper and i might add Manning Park in BC for grouse, nutcrackers, gray jays, etc.
In Vancouver a walk on the seawall can get you looks at pigeon guillemot and maybe a black oystercatcher as well.
Just taking the ferry across to vancouver island from the mainland can get you a bunch of good seabirds and gulls when viewing from the deck.

I am sure others will offer suggestions so i will let them do so now.
revs wrote:I think you have a good chance for almost all of those species especially if you are hitting up Banff, Jasper and i might add Manning Park in BC for grouse, nutcrackers, gray jays, etc.
In Vancouver a walk on the seawall can get you looks at pigeon guillemot and maybe a black oystercatcher as well.
Just taking the ferry across to vancouver island from the mainland can get you a bunch of good seabirds and gulls when viewing from the deck.

Many thanks for your reply Paul, Varied Thrush is my most wanted any suggestions for seeing one of those?
By revs
EnglishBirder wrote:
revs wrote:I think you have a good chance for almost all of those species especially if you are hitting up Banff, Jasper and i might add Manning Park in BC for grouse, nutcrackers, gray jays, etc.

Many thanks for your reply Paul, Varied Thrush is my most wanted any suggestions for seeing one of those?
come to my backyard in December LOL
I know Varied Thrush is possible in September but i usually see them in the winter months around here
check this guys blog from 2012 though http://britbirderinbc.blogspot.ca/2012/09/
but you have to get up early for them, mountains may be a better bet than sea level at least in Vancouver.
Thanks again Paul, yes hopefully I will get one in Banff or Jasper. The blog you recommended will be very useful , I will try the Dipper site he mentions.

If any one else has an info it would be much appreciated. :D
Feb 21, 2018
Hi Phil
Glad to hear you are coming!
Beacon Hill Park in Victoria usually has a couple Varied Thrush arrive in Sept. they will be on the ground under the cedar enclave beside the back of the Bandstand.
Cooper's Hawks are there on Arbutus Way (in the arbutus trees), Barred Owls and their owlets in the cedars, Great Horned Owls out in the SEW (south-east woods of the Park by the World's Tallest Totem pole), Kingfisher, Hermit Thrush, Steller's Jays, Bald Eagle pair, Pacific Slope Flycatchers, Great Blue Heron, Red-breasted Sapsucker in pines by lawn bowling area off Cricket Field, Audubon's Warblers, Red-shafted Flickers, Pacific Wrens, Downy Woodpeckers, Spotted Towhees, Red-tailed Hawk on Beacon Hill et al.
Goldstream Provincial Park has American Dippers, Eagles and is a beautiful walk.
Victoria Golf Course on Beach Drive-go to middle of course and walk to ocean-possible Auklet
Swan Lake Nature Sanctuary-always something interesting there. Enjoy your visit.
Cheryl

If it was a Black-headed Grosbeak juvenile, it wou[…]

Immature Gulls

Okay, I am now confident they are juvenile ring-bi[…]

Met a participant of IOCongress2018 yesterday. : )[…]

A few from Brazil...

Wonderful shots, looks like it was a great trip. C[…]