This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Hello all,

I do not know if this subject (preservation of biological diversity) comes within the norms of this forum, but suspect it might.

Now that Canada has a new PM, and a new party, I tried to draw attention to Justin Trudeau on Canada lagging behind the rest of the world on preservation of Biological diversity. I also sent a note to our new MP, Ms Carla Qualtrough, about it.

Here is the copy of the letter to the PM:
++++++++++++++++++++++++

To: Mr. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada

Subject: UN Convention on Biological Diversity - and Cartagena Protocol

Honourable Prime Minister,

Please accept my congratulation on your victory in the recent election, and the leadership displayed by you to get the Liberal Party to achieve a straight majority in the house of commons.

Your comments and declarations about the roadmap our new Government would like to follow is found to be pleasantly different from the previous Government, and in the right way, which should hopefully ensure we leave behind a Canada that is as healthy and sustainable as the one we came to cherish in our lifetime.

In this regard, I request you to pay attention to an item that has been outside the political debate but is of vital importance in sustainability - the UN Convention on Biological Diversity, the resulting resolution adopted by its general assembly in year 2000, and in particular The Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety to the Convention on Biological Diversity, adopted in year 2000.

This Convention was designed to protect nations biological diversity from harm through inadvertent human activity. The Cartagena protocol was to protect the same biodiversity from inadvertent harm or extinction through hurried or improper import and introduction of GMO in agriculture, pastures, landscapes and forestry.

The Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD), is based in Montreal, Canada, in your own constituency.

As of today, October 21, 2015, a total of 170 countries have ratified and become member of this protocol, and put in place country specific laws to enforce it. Unfortunately and somewhat shamefully, Canada, (also USA), stands out as an absentee.

I request you to endeavour to have our nation join the rest of the world in this important area, and to appoint a team to look into it and address this serious and possibly devastating lapse of our Government in ensuring we leave behind at least as much as possible a biologically diverse natural living kingdom for our children, as we got from our parents.

If I can be of any assistance in this important task, I shall be happy to help.

Thanking you

Tony Mitra
(Address)
PS - This will also be mailed through Canada Post to your office
TM

++++++++++++++++++++++++

If this letter and subject is unfit for this forum, please let me know. I shall delete it and refrain from raising such issues here again.

Thanks
Tony Mitra

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]