This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By mw0723
Hey everyone, long time lurker, finally decided to sign up for an account!

Was wondering if anyone could offer any tips on looking for owls in Vancouver? The only time I've seen them are at Reifel or out in the Gulf Islands. More experienced birders seem to have such an easy time finding them but I can't ever seem to spot them :(

Thanks for all your help!
By Jeremy Gatten
I thought you just look for the long lenses and then the owl is usually only a foot away... isn't that how most people here do it?

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
By 10aciousfaith
Hi fellow birders:

In response to the above remark about the original birder's sincere attempt to receive help finding owls, I don't think this forum should be silent when negative comments like this are made. Just because some overly enthusiastic, even aggressive folks have pressured, scarred, and possibly even contributed to the death of some owls doesn't mean that a group of passionate birders and/or photographers, observing an owl at say, Reifel are doing anything wrong at all. Maybe a rule such as making sure our advice or our expression of concern is done in way that is helpful, nice, and constructive for everyone.

10aciousfaith
By Jeremy Gatten
Well that has never worked in the past, but sure... I could give it a try. I wasn't aware making a tongue-in-cheek joke was not allowed, based on some of the more asinine posts I've seen from the other side of the picture (literally and figuratively).

To the original poster, most birders and photographers just go to the tried, tested, and true spots for their owls. For instance, if you want to see Short-eared Owls most people just head down to Boundary Bay because they can reliably be seen hunting over open areas. On years with Snowy Owls, same deal. They often concentrate along the waterfront in open areas that have suitable habitat for rodents, so areas like Brunswick Point and Boundary Bay are the usual haunts. Northern Saw-whet Owls are often found roosting at Reifel and this is where my original comment comes into play. As soon as someone finds an owl and spends a little time with it, either observing or photographing it, other passersby are alerted to it and soon it becomes a celebrity. I am personally not a fan of this, but hey what do I know?

Some local birders and photographers know where Barn Owls roost and may have established contact with property owners to gain access. Barn Owls are a federal species at risk, so it is unlawful to harass them. Apparently this topic is taboo also, so I'll just move on to the next species.

Barred and Great Horned Owls are two of the most common resident owls and they are best detected during the breeding season (coming up I would think). I think most of us just luck into them during a walk or learn about a breeding pair and keep tabs on them. Once you know where an owl is breeding, you should be able to reliably find them. For instance, a pair of Great Horned Owls bred in the same snapped off Doug-fir near Beaver Lake in Victoria for over 10 years, I believe. They became celebrities and many people got to see their downy young once they starting learning to fly.

Other owls are either very cryptic or are rare visitors to our area. To find them, you either need to be excessively lucky or put in a lot of time searching in candidate habitats (based on known preferences).

Essentially experience is the key. Refer back to my original comment for a quick route to success.

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
By AlfredoFernandez
Jeremy Gatten wrote:I thought you just look for the long lenses and then the owl is usually only a foot away... isn't that how most people here do it?

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
HAHAHAHAHA!! Made my day!
By AlfredoFernandez
mw0723 wrote:Hey everyone, long time lurker, finally decided to sign up for an account!

Was wondering if anyone could offer any tips on looking for owls in Vancouver? The only time I've seen them are at Reifel or out in the Gulf Islands. More experienced birders seem to have such an easy time finding them but I can't ever seem to spot them :(

Thanks for all your help!
Where do you live? I know a Barred Owl nest site. If you are interested in heading, there let me know.
By mw0723
Thanks for all your help guys!

And yeah, I know how frustrating it can be with crowds of people; like last winter with the Snowy Owls out at BB and the Northern Hawk Owl at Reifel. Finding an owl like that sort of "cheapens" the experience for me though, if that makes sense?

I guess what I meant was whether anyone had any tips about what kind of habitats they prefer? Especially the Barred and Great-Horned Owls; I often hear Barred Owls on the trails in Pacific Spirit, where I live, but I can't ever seem to spot them through the thick foliage (plus there are no crowds of spotting scopes ;) )

Once again, thanks for the help, greatly appreciated :D
By ogopogo
other ideas:
-follow the crows. if they are in a tree kicking up a fuss, inevitably there is an Owl or Cooper's Hawk directly below them. often a hummingbird is buzzing its head.
-know the height. Barred & Horned sit about 10-12'
-preferred trees/bushes in Victoria's Beacon Hill Park woods are horse chestnuts & Maples or twiggy bushes 12' high over fields and near paths (they seem as curious about us!) and they return to the same place often.
-ask another photographer if you see one in a particular area
-carry a small dog or parakeet on your shoulder. they'll come to you...(j/k)
and most fun is, as you say.. making your own discovery.
By Jeremy Gatten
Yes - good point on using other birds as an indicator. If you learn the alarm call of American Robins, you can often track down the source of the alarm and it will typically be an owl or a hawk. Often multiple robins will be making these calls with a greater intensity and you know there is definitely something there. If you can see one of the robins, try to see where it is looking. Alternatively, look somewhere in the middle of the robins.

Other birds mob hawks and owls, too. One time many years ago, I was walking to school and heard elevated bird activity. I ended up seeing chickadees, kinglets, and even a Downy Woodpecker all down low in some shrubs. I then noticed a little puffball huddled up and was surprised to see it was a Northern Saw-whet Owl! You could just tell the birds were on edge a little.

If you don't know the alarm call of an American Robin, start paying attention to birds like Cooper's Hawks when they're in a forested area. They may get a robin worked up and you will just have to store that sound. Alternatively, you might be able to find some recordings online.

Good luck,
Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
By Ryjay
Think like an owl
If you are a nocturnal bird, where would you be during the day?
The darkest patch of impenetrable brush you could find

I never saw owls when I first started birding, it took me along time to figure it out, learning other birds alarm calls was one of the first things that helped me
when I walk through a forest now I know when a predator is about just by the frenzy of chickadees,wrens,sparrows,kinglets and robins.

one of the best spots for owls used to be the hedgerows along 72nd st, I would walk down the path about an hour before sunset and find Long and Short-eared Owls, Saw Whets, Barn, and Great Horned. Unfortunately they've gone and hacked away most of their shelters.
Another good place was Brunswick Point, the trees and brush that was at the start of the trail next to the farm field, but I think they've levelled that as well.

It takes a lot of experience to find them on your own, but usually when you start finding them, you figure it out pretty fast.

good luck
Ryan
By Hoss
If you need help finding owls come to Victoria, my roommates walk their dogs in the evening and it seems they spot one every few times they go out. The two of them are totally daft and couldn't tell a bird from a hole in the ground, so I'm sure if you were paying attention it's easier than you think. Most barred owls I see are right beside paths, particularly areas around drainage ditches or creeks and farming areas, or even on power lines. If there are prey to be taken, they'll be close.
By mw0723
Hey guys! I just wanted to thank everyone for the tips!

Two mornings ago I was walking on campus on my way to class, and about 10 crows were furiously cawing at something in a Douglas Fir and so I went to check; sure enough, it was a Barred Owl :D

Thanks again for the help everyone, it really is obvious when you know what you're looking for.

here's a really blurry iphone photo of it. :D
By ogopogo
success! good for you. they are very curious about human beings.
the Barred in BHPk has opted for a Douglas fir as well during this rainy week.
see my pic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ogopogonaturephotography/
I've noticed the 3 Horned Owls (BHPk, Galloping Goose, Cedar Hill Golf Course) are all away courting their mates. There is an interesting article on the net about their mating habits by a man who did his doctoral thesis on this subject.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Horned Owlets at Beaver Lake this coming Spring!
The BHPk Barred Owl, resident yellow Pussycat & Red-tailed Hawk were all chasing each other up a tree a couple weeks ago, according to a friend.
A Park worker was hit in the head by a Juvenile Owl, not discerning enough to differentiate his bald head glinting in the sun from a slithery snake, he says.
He now wears a baseball cap!
By Birder Girl
All good tips. In North Saanich (Vancouver Island) Great-horned owl and Barred owl are fairly common in and around Horth Hill Regional Park and other forested areas. It is not uncommon to see a Barred Owl on the powerlines watching for a snack.

Jeremy - have to comment regarding protection of Barn Owls. You are correct the western population is listed as Threatened on Schedule 1 of SARA, however they are only protected under SARA on federally administered lands (National Parks, DND land, First Nations reserves, post offices:). The species is protected throughout BC under the provincial Wildlife Act, as is all wildlife (essentially all native species - so starling for example is not protected).

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]