This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
I was walking tonight and came across a pair of nesting killdeer. The bird was on 4 eggs and both the male and female were displaying broken-wing behavior and emitting distressed calls. I have contacted the city to see if they can get a fence erected around the nest and a sign. The nest could easily be stepped on by dogs or humans and there were a few people already with iPhones inching ever closer to the very distressed birds.

I hope the little ones survive and the parents get some protection as they are protected under The Migratory Birds Convention Act.

These birds seem to nest in the oddest places sometimes in New Brunswick they are nesting in a children's playground but they are doing everything possible there to ensure they are protected.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.2640980
Thank you very much Sue. I am quite touched by your words. I was really grateful as they really secured a large area around those birds giving them plenty of space and ensuring protection of their nest and the adult birds.

I did not expect them to act so quickly. I look forward to seeing the little babies soon. They don't come much cuter than baby killdeers :P

All the best.
I have to agree with Sue here. Most people wouldn't even give a damn and next to zero would do anything about it, much less call up the city.

I am shocked the city did this much so fast... that speaks to what you did for the birds.

Your positive attitude and caring nature on this board obviously translates over into real life.

Kudos indeed for what you did for those animals. I'm sure without you the nest probably would have failed and the birds hounded by photographers.

Thanks,
Mark
I'm sure without you the nest probably would have failed and the birds hounded by photographers.
Not cool Mark. You cheapen the good thing that Birder Girl did by using it to slam photographers. Birder Girl is a strong supporter of the photographers on this site, provides supportive comments and appreciation for the work they produce.
There are ethical photographers and not so ethical photographers just as their are birders who are both ethical and not so ethical.
Groups like this exist to educate not to denigrate. Lots of experienced knowledgeable birders and photographers and those who are some of each share their knowledge to help lift the rest of us up.
nickinthegarden wrote:
I'm sure without you the nest probably would have failed and the birds hounded by photographers.
Not cool Mark. You cheapen the good thing that Birder Girl did by using it to slam photographers. Birder Girl is a strong supporter of the photographers on this site, provides supportive comments and appreciation for the work they produce.
There are ethical photographers and not so ethical photographers just as their are birders who are both ethical and not so ethical.
Groups like this exist to educate not to denigrate. Lots of experienced knowledgeable birders and photographers and those who are some of each share their knowledge to help lift the rest of us up.

Thanks Nick, although I appreciate Mark's comments about caring about the birds. I pretty much made the same argument as you did when the great gray owl appeared. I believe most photographers are ethical. I support ethical photography and birding of course and the great photographers/birders on this site that brighten up my day every time I log on.

Cheers.
I think the "key" work in Mark's comment is the word "hounded". There are times when photographers, like people wanting autographs from celebrities, can get carried away in their enthusiasm and forget to respect the needs of birds. It is to those types of photographers that Mark was referring, I believe. I didn't interpret his post as being against enthusiastic photographers per se.

I often find that if people really knew one another's backgrounds and their way they live life in general, (usually in a respectful manner) we would not jump to conclusions about that they mean and we would cut them some slack. I do realize that there are a small percentage of touchy people or rude people.

What I have seen here is a lot of respect and enthusiasm for birds and even photography.

This is a bit off topic. (I just got finished reading the administrations requests for suggestion and I have carried it over to this page).
Good work Melissa. By letting municipal officials know about the nest, city staff then has a legal responsibility to provide adequate protection for the nest and nestlings, as required by the Migratory Bird Convention Act.

Of course, not every branch of government is this quick to act. Here on Vancouver Island I have had to really push to get some city departments to stop clearing brush and falling trees without first doing proper nest searches. Some have responded positively once they understood the law, while others are still doing their best to pretend like they don't.

Lets hope that people abide by the flagging.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]