Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Jul 29 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Blue Heron in Surrey
PostPosted: Apr 22 11:16 am 

This heron lives not far away from my home in Surrey, and so I visit this location often on my dog walks.
The pond is a beaver pond and there are signs of active beavers. Recently two of the beavers' damns were removed as it was flooding an access road.
They are starting to build warehouses and fast food places in this area.
I've also seen Kingfishers, Pileated Woodpeckers, Flickers, the small birds of course like gold crowned kinglet and all the regulars including an eagle overhead every now and then.
------
There's a white crowned sparrow at my bird feeder outside the window as I type. If I get my camera how much you want to bet it will fly off.
(I was right)
-------
I have more pictures of this pond on the Beaver Pond link at http://www.keepcanadaclean.ca. It's at the base of Scott Road Hill in North Surrey at the north end of Al Cleaver Park.

I'd also like to ask for any volunteer photographers who would be able to take a panoramic landscape picture of another location in North Surrey. It's an area that will soon be developed but I would like to preserve some of the trees and natural areas. The location gives you a 360 degree view of trees, the North Surrey Bridges and the north shore mountains. There's also a small pond close by with many birds, ducks too I think.

Information on this project can be viewed at http://keepcanadaclean.blogspot.ca/2012/04/volunteer-photographers-needed.html
Please spread the word. This whole area is a mess right now, but has such potential. Every tree they take down reduces bird habitat more and more.

Thanks for listening.
Danna