The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By opticks
I have no idea if this has been asked/discussed... I've searched but not found. I wondered;

Is it possible to walk, at low tide, from Centennial Beach, say, to White Rock? Looking at Google Maps I see the outflow channel of the Nicomekl being a potential stumbling block but otherwise, I have no idea.

Anyone tried it? Anyone know that it's definitely walkable to not walkable?

Thanks.
By MDB8
I've been out a couple of kilometers at low tide.

Near the dyke, the ground is a little muddy. You may sink a couple of inches. Then it hardens and you can walk with ease outwards. About 1.5 km out, the ground begins to get soft and if you stand still, you start sinking. You can continue, but soon you will realize that it is getting softer and softer as you proceed.

In addition to the Nicomekl, note that there is a boat channel from Crescent beach proceeding to the ocean. Presumably this is dredged and is never clear of water. There is a marina in the Nicomekl with sail boats at anchor.

Probably be easier to swim across. In less dangerous times when I lived in White Rock for a year or so, I noticed a neighbour who swam to and back from Blaine every morning, regardless of the tide or weather. Nowadays he'd probably be arrested or worse.
opticks wrote:I have no idea if this has been asked/discussed... I've searched but not found. I wondered;

Is it possible to walk, at low tide, from Centennial Beach, say, to White Rock? Looking at Google Maps I see the outflow channel of the Nicomekl being a potential stumbling block but otherwise, I have no idea.

Anyone tried it? Anyone know that it's definitely walkable to not walkable?

Thanks.

No, you definitely cannot.

Mel
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]