The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By paulclarkuk
Hi

Probably not the best time to be looking for them, but it's when I'm going to be in the Vancouver area (I live in the UK) so it'll have to do.

I've been to Western Canada a couple of times before and have seen most of the commoner residents but have always done badly on Grouse. I've managed to see Ruffed Grouse and my wife has seen Spruce Grouse (when she came over by herself for a cousin's wedding!!) but Dusky and Sooty have always eluded us.

We'll have a car and a spare couple of days during which we can have a mooch around - though ideally not more than half a day's drive from Vancouver. So our question is whether there are any reasonably reliable sites for these birds at that time of year. All three would be nice (I'd love to get Spruce back!).

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

Paul
By birdergirl
That's actually a good time to go looking for grouse

Liron and I went last year and we got 44 grouse in one day.
We had dusky, spruce, sooty and ruffed

See here :
http://birding.bc.ca/community/viewtopi ... lit=Grouse

The best local places for sooty grouse at cypress mountain around yew lake.
Also in Squamish at the top of the sea to sky gondola you will see sooty grouse.

At Manning Park you will see sooty grouse, Ruffed and spruce grouse and the occasional dusky (many are hybrids). The best place I've found for grouse is on the road to alpine meadows. Strawberry flats is also a good spot.

If you go to Merritt try The forest service roads to Boston bar (4wheel drive essential) for spruce grouse, sooty and dusky.

We found many Ruffed Grouse in Merritt along the Pennansk Lake Rd and it is a good spot for Dusky.

If you send me a private message I can send you a map and directions on the forest service road where we saw all our dusky grouse including a male displaying!

Cheers,
Mel
By ian406
One place that I found excellent for Sooty Grouse near Vancouver was Grouse Mountain. In a day most of the time I would see at least a family of grouse. I volunteered there about once a week last august.

I visited cypress a few times too and I did find a few grouse there but not as many as Grouse Mountain.

The downside of Grouse Mountain would be that it costs money but it is a great tourist spot if you haven't been.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]