The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
Mel Thanks for the great information... I will be visiting Vancouver on the last week of April and hope to see a few species that we don't get here or at least I've never seen before. Bald Eagles, Chestnut sided Chickadees , Stellars Jay just to name a few. I won't have access to a car so will be relying on Public transit for transportation .. I will be spending some time correlating your GREAT google map info with the translink transit site to see how easy/hard it is to visit the areas you listed.
While I'm in town I plan to visit the usual tourist locations also: Stanley, Lighthouse and Queen Elizabeth Parks and maybe Lynn Canyon Park. Also planning trips to Capilano Canyon , Grouse Mtn and maybe Burnaby Mtn. Day trips to Victoria & Whistler and possible trip to Squamish Sea-Sky Gondola.

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

- I understand that there are a few Bald Eagle nesting sites in Vancouver (Stanley & Vanier Park) do you know of a web site that shows this years active nest sites?
- are hummers active already in Vancouver? Still snowing here in Ontario :(
- Are there other locations not on your list that have good results in general which are public transit friendly?

thanks again for your help.... Glen
Hi Glen there are several nesting eagle locations around the lower mainland but a great place to see many on the nest is North 40 Dog Park in Delta off 72nd St.

Here is the information you requested regarding nesting sites in the lower mainland:

http://www.jiwiz.com/BaldEagleNestsInMetroVancouver.htm

It goes without saying with nesting birds always make sure to give them as much space as possible and practice ethical photography. Eagle Nests are up high and therefore little different and suffer little disturbance but here are some helpful guidelines http://photo.net/learn/nature/nestfoto

You say you want chestnut-sided chickadees well head to beaver lake in Stanley park and they will eat right out of your hand if you bring some peanuts. Your Steller's Jays are usually there as well.

I recommend Squamiah Gondola there are birds like Sooty grouse, Pygmy owl, steller's Jays, red-breasted sapsuckers and three-toed woodpeckers up there and it's bloody beautiful.

Hummers (both Rufous and Anna's) are extremely active at places like the Richmond Nature Park (where I go to photograph them) and the public bus stops right at the door of the park!

Other places like Stanley Park, Blackie Spit, Vandusen Gardens, Queen Elizabeth Park, Jericho Park, Colony Farm and the Ferry Jetty in Delta are also easily accessible by Public Transit.

Cheers,
Mel
Hi Mel,

Back in France now. Thanks for your advice which was precious throughout the trip.

I managed to get to a few of the sites you mentioned, not as many as I hoped as family visits took up a great deal of our time.

However I did manage to see about half of my target list, highlights being :

- a Bald Eagle perched on a tree in Delta 72nd St (as you said) just waiting to have his photo taken !
- Rufous (m+f) and Ana's (m) Hummingbirds
- Red-breasted Sapsucker + Northern Flicker in Port Moody
- Stellar's Jay, Downy Woodpecker, Chestnul backed Chickadee and Raccoons in Stanley Park
- Harbour Seals, Sea Otters at Indian Arm
- and many others...

But just waking up in the morning and not recognising any of the birds singing was wonderful.

Thank you for everything, I hope to come back someday.

Andrew

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]