The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By Birder2000
I will be visiting Manning Park this Summer. Does anybody know which spots are best for birds in the park?

Thanks for the help!
By Flight
ya Beaver Pond is a cool spot, encountered a bear there as well. Very cool.
By Guyzerr
There is a lookout that is 500 meters above the highway and it's a great spot for Clark's Nutcrackers and Ravens. If you intend to go make sure you bring peanuts in the shell. Put some in your hand and you'll have the Nutcrackers eating out of your hand. You will also have the chipmunks fighting among themselves to get at them as well. Bring some bird seed to spread on the ground to attract the chippies.

These are some of what I got when I was up there two weeks ago.

Link: http://birding.bc.ca/community/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8079

I know how to get to the lookout but don't really know how to describe it so ask at the store / lodge and they will tell you. It's a 5 mile drive uphill with lots of switchbacks but it's a good road that's paved .

The lookout will also give you a great perspective on the area and you'll be able to get some great landscape shots especially if you get there while the sun is still in the east south east because the best view is westward.
By cdnmarlboro
Lots of good places in Manning. I always stop at Sumallo Grove on the way in from Hope. Hammonds Flycatcher there with many warbler types. I agree with Beaver Pond, notibles I have seen were Three-toed woodpecker. Alpine Meadows were good. You can access them across the hwy from the lodge. On the way up look for the nutcrackers and Ravens as well as grouse. Lightning Lake is good, Gray Jays were there a couple of times and are always curious. There are always losts of birds around the lodge itself, including three or four species of swallow, sapsucker, dove, etc. Jeremy has the right of it, Ebird and the recent sightings are the best way for those "must haves" for the year.

Michael Klotz
Langley
By Aliraza21
Hi Tom,

You're going to find that traveling to all those places takes a good deal of time. I'm familiar with driving straight to Banff and it would take me 12 plus hours to get there from Vancouver. I believe that with all the places you're going to, you'll see and hear many birds.

I would recommend looking at the "BC Birding Regions" forum for a starting point. The checklists for these areas will also give you an idea of species that can be found there. I'd also suggest ebird online to look at birding hotspots. The Nature Vancouver website can also give you a bit more information.

I think that most regions have organized birding group outings at various dates. I have gone on an Okanagan birding trip with their birding group and they were fantastic taking me to all the hotspots and pointing out various bird species.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]