The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By Jigme
Hi,

I've got some family coming over from UK the week of August 24th. They would love to see BAEA. My Dad was wondering about Brackendale, but I think it'll be too early for salmon spawning? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy
Right now Brackendale is out of season, but at some other places and almost everywhere in Southwestern BC you can see Bald Eagles very easily. If you could give the general area (like a city or county) where your visitors will be staying, I could give you some spots where you could probably find a Bald Eagle.
White Rock Beach to the west...there's a tree with an eagle nest and "Ma" and "Pa" as Christian Sasse calls them usually are out and about.

Green Timbers Urban Forest Park - what I call "my eagles"... or "Mom" and "Pop". (usually resident about late May through July). They usually sit out past 600mm range, so you need to have a good camera lens to photograph them. Use a 1.4x teleconverter on a 600mm to get in closer to 840.00mm.

D300s/600mm f/4 bare (no TC).

I tried it with my 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII+TC-20EIII @400mm and ended up getting this...which stunk.

Surrey Lake Park has a pair of breeding bald eagles...the nest though is so close to the trail that people are constantly there and the eagles and their offspring have gotten so blase about human encroachment that they just sit there and look at you. (I haven't established a timeline for the SLP eagles as I've only been there twice in 4 years, both times in mid-summer.
In North Van , you could try Maplewood Conservation Area a pair of adults and a juvenile have been spending time on the east side mudflats, usually on the pilings or gravel bars. Capilano Lake and along the river can also be an easy to get to location. Harbourside Park is another North Van spot. Tougher to get to, but worth it, is Kloochmans Park in West Van. Check Ebird for recent sightings to narrow your search. Regards.Rob
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]