This area is for BC birding news, events and related announcements.
By hawkman
Thought some may be interested in that this 2011 birding movie was released on Netflix today.
By loudavid
It is based on a book of the same name, published in the late 90's. It is well worth a read. On a side note, I did see and photograph the Xantus Hummingbird in Gibsons, which is in a scene in the movie.

Lou Davidson
Delta BC
By wendylou
So that is why my daughter called me at work when I was up to my eyeballs-crazy-busy to tell me this movie exists, lol. I had seen it, but wondered why she suddenly heard about it!
By nickinthegarden
I just finished watching the movie. A year ago, I do not think I would have gotten the level of passion and the little bit of craziness that this kind of birding requires. After the last six months it makes sense! I would not do something like a Big Year but I can understand the thrill of seeing something special.
By mcrosbie
Very interesting. I just started a Netflix subscription recently. I would never have guessed that this movie was about birds had you not posted this message on here.
By kupac1
Great movie! A lot of it was filmed in southern B.C. For example what is supposed to be Patagonia Lake State Park in Arizona is, in fact, Vaseaux Lake Wildlife Area just south of Okanagan Falls in B.C. (if you have birded Vaseaux Lake regularly, you will recognize the parking lot and the boardwalk). What is supposed to be George Washington National Forest in Virginia is actually Mount Seymour Provincial Park. There are scenes at Shannon Falls and several other B.C. locations. Makes it more fun to watch! :)
By hawkman
I recommend people read the book it's based on.I thought the movie was ok but the book is much better.
By Guy L. Monty
I very much enjoyed the book. I did enjoy the movie, but it could have been so much better. A few too many Hollywood clichés, and really weird casting.

I saw another movie on Netflix awhile back featuring birders and birding. This one is a bit quirky, but most will probably enjoy it. It was called; "A Birder's Guide to Everything"

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

I went out to Blackie Spit, after that Black and W[…]

Buy Cocaine online | Buy Heroin Online | Buy Cryst[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Current list -- we are at 142 birds! Wow ... Have[…]

The annual Open House at OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Re[…]