This area is for BC birding news, events and related announcements.
By jewill
Here is an excellent write-up about the pair of bald eagles that were released at the OWL Open House today: https://lailayuile.com/2016/02/21/the-r ... ld-eagles/

It covers the rescue which, WARNING, contains some graphic pictures of the injuries these birds inflicted on each other while fighting. The good news is that there is a very happy ending, so don't forget to scroll down to see the video of both releases.
By jewill
Thanks Mel and Sue, although I can't take much of the credit here other than perhaps throwing some fish into the flight cage for these guys.
It is indeed very rewarding to see success stories like this one. We are always looking for volunteers - the only requirements are that you are at least 15 years old, have a current tetanus shot and can give us 4 hours of your time. That can be 4 hours a day, 4 hours a week or whenever you can spare 4 consecutive hours (9am to 1pm is the best). You can stay longer, but 4 hours at a time is the minimum for us to teach you everything you need to know. We are very flexible and accommodating so if you are interested please call 604-946-3171 and arrange for what they call a volunteer "interview" but don't let that scare you, it's actually more of an orientation where you fill out a form, get taken around the care centre and shown what is involved in caring for these birds.
Open House is on again tomorrow, Sunday April 24th from 10am to 3pm; another release at 1pm. I'll be with Sarah the Barn Owl so come by and say "hi".
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]