This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
I went to Manning Park today and had a great time. On the drive up I saw about 10 ring-necked pheasants on the side of the highway but could not stop for photos.
Up at the top I saw a red-tailed hawk, a cooper's hawk, clark's nutcrackers (which I fed), gray jays (which I fed numerous times), steller's jays (which came to the hand as well for food), A male American Three-toed woopecker which I was very excited about but did not get a good enough photo of :( The woodpecker was easy to find as I followed the tapping to where he was located. I also saw some mountain chickadees, 2 black bears on the trail that were so heavy and full looking they could care less about me, common ravens, sooty grouse, lincoln's sparrow, dark-eyed juncos, many yellow pine chipmunks, a northern harrier and a male redhead duck.

The weather was gorgeous and many people were out canoeing and fishing at Lightning Lake. I met lots of nice people and had a great time and on the way home had a barn owl fly over my roof to cap off the night.

Will share a few photos of the steller's jay, whiskey jacks and nutcracker that turned out.

ImageSteller's Jay - Manning Park by bcbirdergirl, on Flickr

ImageClark's Nutcracker - Manning Park by bcbirdergirl, on Flickr

ImageClark's Nutcracker - Manning Park by bcbirdergirl, on Flickr

ImageGray Jay- Manning Park by bcbirdergirl, on Flickr

and can't leave out the yellow-pine chipmunk

Cheers.
Mel
Last edited by birdergirl on Sep 27 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Doug
Ah you did go.
Very awesome shooting. It's true, your shooting is getting better and better. Good to see.
I wanted to go up too, but so many things to do. Would have loved to see the bears. For a place that's supposed to be full of them, I have yet to see one up there. That gray jay has a nice background for the photo.
Come on Birdergirl your photos are professional now especially that one of the Gray jay and the cock-headed Steller's Jay. I think how you got the blue sky behind the jay brought out its blue detail making for a very artistic photo set.

You have a real knack for photographing Jays which seem to flock to you.

That's fantastic you saw so many birds including the rarely seen three-toed.

It's nice to see someone who can enjoy birding so much on their own. I have to admit I'd be too scared to bird in manning with all the bear warning signs.

Again BG these are tack sharp shots of a beautiful bunch of birds.

Mark
wow, what a full day and variety! bonus seeing the Barn Owl. I don't get as hung up on quality; sometimes it's good historical reference to post a blob or two, like the three-toed.
Thanks so much everyone for your very kind comments. It really means a lot to me that you are all so kind.

Cheers.
Melissa
Steely wrote:I often find that just being in an environment like Manning on a glorious day is reward enough and all the bird species are just a bonus or the proverbial icing on the cake.
PS -Ian I could not agree more!
What an awesome day you had! :D
I can only echo the many compliments already paid to your ever-improving work
(did I say "work"? How could this activity ever be deemed "work"? :wink: ).
:mrgreen: I'm particularly impressed by your stellar Steller's.
Have yet to get decent shots of these guys myself; your efforts inspire to say the least!!

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]