This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By Nigel
For me the Golden-crowned Sparrow, Tropical Kingbird and Purple Finch are the highlights; I particularly like the sparrow shot, the detail is showing. My son is flying into Vancouver from Australia to stay with us for 4 months (he's been there at least 10 yrs) so we will be in Vancouver to meet him. I'm hoping to convince him to spend a day at Reifel with me.
Guess I'm going to have to bring some sunflower seeds.
Lovely shots Birdergirl!
By birdergirl
revs wrote:Great story and pics Mel :)

My dad phones me every now and then to tell me about the birds coming to his feeder in Port Alberni and my mom was excited to find out when she moved to a new condo that she had Red-winged blackbirds in a small marsh behind her building, neither of them were really interested in birds when i was growing up although i do remember that we used to put up a hummingbird feeder when we lived in south vancouver.
I'm glad they have both found an appreciation for birds, even it's only because i seem to be so interested in them, i'll take it.
Your post has inspired me and i can't wait to invite my mom out birding one of these days, would be fun.

Hi Paul that is cool about your dad I'm sure he sees quite the few rarities (thinking of the violetear ) in his neck of the woods. :P

I agree with you, I'm glad both our parents make an effort to appreciate the birds even in a small manner and I'll take it as well :wink: .

I'm touched about the inspiration part hope you and your mom have a great time birding look forward to hearing all about it. Reifel will be a great place to take her because she doesn't have to wait around for birds to show up. Something new pops out at every corner and feeding the birds there from the chickadees, ducks, nuthatches, Red-wingeds and cranes can't help but make one smile.

Cheers
Last edited by birdergirl on Oct 28 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By birdergirl
Thanks Robin.
Nigel wrote:For me the Golden-crowned Sparrow, Tropical Kingbird and Purple Finch are the highlights; I particularly like the sparrow shot, the detail is showing. My son is flying into Vancouver from Australia to stay with us for 4 months (he's been there at least 10 yrs) so we will be in Vancouver to meet him. I'm hoping to convince him to spend a day at Reifel with me.
Guess I'm going to have to bring some sunflower seeds.
Lovely shots Birdergirl!
Nigel thank you so much for the nice comments. That Golden-crowned was literally in front of my face he almost came to my hand several times but decided instead to stare at me and sing his song over and over. He was a beauty! Hope you and your son have some great birding time at Reifel. It's a great place to take people who are visiting

Yes don't forget those sunflower seeds! Prepare to be mobbed by chickadees! :P

Cheers
By Keithmac
Very nice series Birdergirl, it is so nice that you are able to get you mother out birding with you. I put up a Hummingbird feeder for my mom this year and she has gotten so much enjoyment watching the hummers she now has several other bird feeders around her small yard. Birds can provide such relaxing entertainment.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]