This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By MDB8
I've noticed that many birds seem to instinctively seek out perches that form some sort of natural camouflage. One of my first observations of this behaviour occurred when upon an early morning arrival at Iona some male Yellow-headed Blackbirds would fly over to determine my threat level and they would invariably land in those plants with the yellow flowers.

In the instance below, note how the colours in the rocks blend nicely with the Canyon Wren. Kind of a chicken or egg argument. Did those birds that chose to land in such locations survive to breed at a higher rate, or do they just learn to seek out such locations?

Last year when Paul asked for the Best Photos of the Year, I was finalizing October and the above are from June. Perhaps I shall be on August's photos by the end of this year.
By birdergirl
Great shots Mike.

I think they evolved to live in these locations and they seek them out. Birds are very intelligent and know how to blend into their surroundings from infancy. I remember seeing a family of Sooty Grouse on Grouse Mountain walking a long a trail.
The chicks knew instinctively not to eat poisonous plants and how to camouflage into their surroundings.

Birds never seize to amaze and the canyon and rock wren that blend into a rock so perfectly don't either. It protects them from predators and that's the main key for camouflage.

Cheers.
By Jeremy Gatten
Yes... evolution is a grand ol' thing. Brown Creeper is definitely my local favourite, Logan. Bark-coloured back and a white chest. They're never THAT easy to spot!

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, BC
By keithric
I certainly agree that birds seek spots where they can blend in, and in time, those who survive best in such habitat are the ones who blend in best. Also agree that the BRCR is one of the most adapted, but there are lots of others, especially nighthawks and grouse. But sometimes we come across birds in the process of adapting. I'd never seen one like this before...
(:wink: Hope no one minds this repost, but it's my camou shot of the year, and I think fits Mike's theme quite well:)
Tryst with a NOFL
By mikewiz
Some great examples (and images ) here . There's no doubt that camo seems to be in the repertoire of some birds . I often wonder if ventriloquism isn't also in their bag of tricks as at times it seems impossible to locate a singing bird.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]