This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
Thanks a lot Liron,

You don't know how long I've wanted a male Barrow's Goldeneye and Spotted Towhee close up. We went back last night and it was very peaceful but we didn't see the huge rafts of Scoters like I used to (they weren't on the Ambleside section either). Hope it's not a bad sign.

Cheers,
Mel
By markj
BG I'm constantly impressed by your photography. You really have grown to be exceptionally good like you can swing it with the big leagues now! I see you have over 2000 followers on Flickr and I can see why.

My my fabulous work. Each one beats the next. But the Goldeneye with his head turned is such a unique rad pose and that Towhee... drop your jaw good. Good going girl.

Mark
I have been keeping an eye out for the large rafts of Surf Scoters this year, but they seem to be missing!

I do see small groups around in different areas of Burrard Inlet, but not the large rafts of old.

Klootchman Park seems to have the largest populations seen recently, but not the hundreds seen the last few years.

I hope to see the massive Surf Scoter rafts in the future.

ImageSurf Scoters and boats by Rob Alexander, on Flickr
Thanks a lot guys for the kind words, much appreciated!

Rob, I know I have noticed the decline in numbers too. Like I said, I hope that is not a bad sign for the scoters.

Debra, another good spot to photograph the Common Goldeneyes displaying is on Lost Lagoon at Stanley Park. They come close to shore and there is always a few in there displaying in season. I saw some on saturday as well. Commons don't form the big rafts that the Barrow's form so they can be a bit harder to find for consistent photography, even though there is more of them around the Lower Mainland.

Cheers,
Mel
Any info on Harlequin Ducks recently? I don't go to Stanley very often but the first and only time I've seen them so far was a pair last March between Second and Third Beach. I was about to leave when I saw them sleeping on the rock. After 10 minutes or so they woke up as the tide was growing, and eventually flew away. It was an overcast day so their colours aren't as apparent.

Harlequin Ducks - Pair by Frank Lin, on Flickr

I didn't get to go into Stanley Park on my last visit Downtown on Christmas Eve, except Lost Lagoon which was frozen and there were only seagulls standing on the ice. There were some Surf Scoters scattered around Coal Harbour towards Canada Place, mostly females and first-year males too far to photograph.

So far this is my only passable shot a male Surf Scoter (with female), taken last March. I got closer views of a female at the Crescent Beach pier.

Surf Scoter, Stanley Park (03/19/2016) by Frank Lin, on Flickr

From the same day, a Common Goldeneye at Lost Lagoon. It was really close up and this image has only been cropped slightly for better framing.

Common Goldeneye, Male by Frank Lin, on Flickr

Two male Barrow's taken two weeks later on a sunny day in April. There were rafts of them but it was hard to get their faces directly in the sun. It was low tide so I was able to walk further out and closer to them, but they slowly started swimming away as there were more people around.

Barrow's Goldeneye, Males by Frank Lin, on Flickr

This individual was a bit unusual in that he had more green on his head. The head shape also looks a bit like a Common Goldeneye but a waterfowl expert told me this isn't an indication of hybridization.

Barrow's Goldeneye, Male by Frank Lin, on Flickr
Hi Frank,

I love your shot of the Common Goldeneye. I noticed how close they were at Lost Lagoon on my last visit and saw some displaying. I will have to go back when it's sunny to photograph them. I also like the nice colours you caught in the head of the Barrow's showing their purplish and green hues. It's nice when you are able to catch them on a sunny day like that.

Regarding Harlequins at Stanley Park, you definitely don't see them there as much as other locations. More reliable locations for them are Ambleside,Tsawwassen Ferry Jetty, White Rock Beach, Porteau Cove and Point Roberts for example.

Cheers,
Mel
Yes you definitely see them there it's just not as reliable as other spots where they are almost guaranteed. However, you are right that's probably the best spot in the park. Mandy Lu reported on ebird that she had 5 in that exact spot yesterday.

By the way the Vancouver Police Dept. has issued a warning today asking people to use extreme caution in the park after dark due to a recent murder and brutal attack. Be safe.

Mel
birdergirl wrote:We went back last night and it was very peaceful but we didn't see the huge rafts of Scoters like I used to (they weren't on the Ambleside section either). Hope it's not a bad sign.
northvanrob wrote:I have been keeping an eye out for the large rafts of Surf Scoters this year, but they seem to be missing!

I do see small groups around in different areas of Burrard Inlet, but not the large rafts of old.

Klootchman Park seems to have the largest populations seen recently, but not the hundreds seen the last few years.

I hope to see the massive Surf Scoter rafts in the future.
Stanley Park's annual Surf Scoter rafts typically reach their peak numbers in November. They gather for a few weeks to feed on mussel beds around the park. After that, they spread out throughout the Straight of Georgia. I'm not sure why they do this, but based on years of data, it would be unusual to see such a large raft of Scoters at Stanley Park at this time of year.

http://stanleyparkecology.ca/wp-content ... c-2011.pdf
This document talks about the trends in abudnance of winter waterbirds in Stanley Park the winters of 2001-2002 compared to 2011-2012. If you scroll down to page 13, there is a graph that clearly shows the scoter numbers peaking in October and November. I haven't seen large flocks in Stanley Park (like in the thousands) past November.

It's always an amazing sight to see, so I look forward to the big flocks again in Fall!

ImageSurf Scoters by lironsnaturephotography.com, on Flickr

ImageSurf Scoters by lironsnaturephotography.com, on Flickr
Thanks for that info Liron and sharing your lovely shots. No wonder that last Surf Scoter shot got a place in the top 100 of the Audubon 2015 photography awards.

Yesterday, I went to Lost Lagoon to see the displaying Common Goldeneyes.

One of the males was close to shore at sunset time and allowed for nice photography. They are a stunning drake especially with the sun bringing out their green head hues.

ImageMale Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) - Vancouver, BC by Birdergirl, on Flickr

Also, directly across from Stanley Park I took this photo of a noisy but cute Pigeon Guillemot at Lonsdale Quay. One of the moulting birds swam right up to me, which doesn't usually happen there for me. However the full breeding plumaged birds stayed further back. I love their red feet and mouths and sounds they make and it was nice catching this one in this state of advanced moult.

ImagePigeon Guillemot (Cepphus columba) - North Vancouver by Birdergirl, on Flickr

Cheers,
Mel
By Owlet
Love the photo of the guillemot Mel!

I've heard that lonsdale is a good place for alcids, which I really need to photograph since I've only had views of some alcids by scope. If so, what are the best areas time and viewing tips? I would reaalllllllyyy love to see a pigeon guillemot close up, they are kinda like penguins :D thanks in advance!

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]