This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
Magic thread! I totally, totally agree that we have so many lovely but common birds around so I work hard at not losing my pleasure and appreciation from them. And as for the international connections: I am originally from South Africa and all my family and many friends are still there. These is a group of us that regularly and frequently exchange photographs and information so I VERY frequently send them photographs of what to us are commoners.

I might not be much of a birder or photographer, but I rank right up there when it comes to enjoying and appreciating our feathered friends.

Thanks for the timely reminder and the lovely images from all: my already very nice day just got even better.
Guy! Sorry, I mistakenly thought Paul had started the thread but I was looking at Page 2 not p1. Great thread

The noisiest visitors to my feeders...this one I call Raucous Jay Jr. He would sit on the feeder supporting rope for minutes on end squawking at me if the suet feeder was empty!
ImageRaucousJayJr1 by BirderBert, on Flickr
Doug wrote:Here's a real common one, that I don't see many people post!!!
Doug I like your Robin shot. It's classic behavior.

Being from the prairies ever since I was a little boy I've always considered melting creeks, water puddles and Robins to be sure signs of spring. The main reason I've never posted a shot of one is because despite many attempts I've never been able to capture a good one. Like Revs I get them and replace with something just a bit better but it's " never the one ". I'll keep working at it. Never give up!
Last edited by Guyzerr on Feb 27 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BirderBert wrote:Guy! Sorry, I mistakenly thought Paul had started the thread but I was looking at Page 2 not p1. Great thread
Confucius say always look at whole thread. lol

No biggie Bert... I've done that as well.
Great thread, Guy!
Having already 'apologized' at times for posting AMROs, I'll leave them out of this reply and focus first on the second least appreciated sparrow I see regularly, the Song Sparrow. Back in 2012 (no longer accessible), when I was just beginning with a P&S camera, I posted that "little brown birds are beautiful, too." Since then, whenever finding more colourful species has been nigh impossible, I've fallen back on SOSPs;these are my favourite shots, in no particular order except for winter/not winter:

Not winter:
Song Sparrow - Rose among Thorns

Song Sparrow - Fill the world with music!

Song Sparrow with Bullrushes

Winter:
Song Sparrow in Winter - 1

Song Sparrow on ice

Song Sparrow in Winter - 3

While I'm no longer "religious," I still cherish my spiritual side and remember the best of my days in Sunday School.
This hymn always touched me, even though I didn't know how many species of sparrow there were :shock: :

"God sees the little sparrow fall,
It meets His tender view...."

Cheers! :D
...and a few of my common feeder birds in today's snowfall:

Black-capped Chickadee
ImageBlack-capped Chickadee snow6s by BirderBert, on Flickr

Spotted Towhee
ImageSpotted Towhee snow3 by BirderBert, on Flickr

Song Sparrow
ImageSong Sparrow 6s by BirderBert, on Flickr

...and just to mix it up a little - the very rare Crested House Finch
ImageCrested House Finch 1s by BirderBert, on Flickr
Doug wrote: Kestrel and Turkey vulture are sure not as common as I would like. But I would hate to get tired of photographing them..Kestrel may be my all time fave bird.
Hi Doug....

I see Kestrals all the time in my travels around the farm in Abbotsford. I know of at least two places where their territory is.

The vultures are always here in the summer. They travel great distances in a day but I see them a lot. To get close enough to photograph.... well that's a different story.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Very nice capture of the Pheobe. I went out looki[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]