This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
Perhaps what's "common" to one person is quite uncommon to someone else. Certainly, some of the birds I've seen posted in this thread would NOT be common in my book. Conversely, there are a few that I see here almost every day in one season or another but would almost never see at The Coast—think California Quail and several species of ducks. But the one that IS "common" here, in the winter particularly, is this gorgeous female American Kestrel, which I've already featured recently. But because I have lots of photos of her, here's one more of flirtatious Kessie:
Kessie (January 31, 2017)

This is a bird I can say "I know." There are others, but Kessie is #1. She'll never be "common" to me; she'll always be both "familiar" and "special" at the same time....

Cheers! :D
I was just thinking the same thing Keith. Common birds in the interior are vastly different down here for the most part and vice versa. Also some birds are common seasonally in certain areas.That's why birds are never really common at all. I saw that Edward Lai posted an interesting story on the Vanbcbirds group in regards to a Harlequin Duck showing up in Beijing. Lots of birders flocked to see it. It's all a matter of perspective.

Cheers,
Mel
Great shots everyone!! I love that Kestrel shot, Keith!! And Mel, that shot of the Ring-billed Gull is just gorgeous!!

Here are some shots of common birds that I got.ImageSong sparrow fledgeling by Viktor Vandereyk, on Flickr
In the spring the forest in my backyard is alive with the sounds of many begging Song Sparrow fledglings. This one posed nicely for me.ImageCanada goose by Viktor Vandereyk, on Flickr
This Canada goose is a very common bird indeed, but when you look at them closely they are actually extremely beautiful and graceful, they have always been my favorite bird ever since I was a wee kid.ImageSpotted Towhee by Viktor Vandereyk, on Flickr
And finally, a Spotted Towhee.

Viktor
And the nice shots just keep on coming..............

The only reason I said common is because most of what's been posted in this thread are generally overlooked when it come to posting. In my original post I did say " common " and when that's done it usually means something other than a direct meaning. A bit tongue in cheek per se. Someone that wanted to post from a different part of BC could certainly do so and I sure wouldn't object. I wasn't thinking it was just for Fraser Valley mainland birds so if you're from somewhere else post 'em.
Black-capped Chickadee

Familiar to most of us in BC except if you go to the Sunshine Coast, North of Sechelt where in 15 years at Garden Bay I have never seen one! They are in Gibsons & Sechelt and working their way North but it's the stronghold of the Chestnut-backed Chickadee!
ImageBlack-capped Chickadee 5s by BirderBert, on Flickr
birdergirl wrote:Viktor I love the Canada Goose shot and the nice dark look to it.

Mel
Guyzerr wrote:And the nice shots just keep on coming..............

Thanks a lot guys!!

Stunning shot Bert!!
By revs
Guyzerr wrote:
revs wrote:Nice one!
...although the small branch in front of bird is something that would make me cry inside a little bit, all the more reason to get out there for a retake :wink:
No need for a retake when a person uses an editing program. I must have been lazy when I first uploaded that shot. It should be better now and with a few more minutes the other junk could be eliminated as well. :mrgreen:

I would have done the same thing Guy, thanks for not taking offense to what i said by the way, some people are touchy about even a gentle critique.
I try not to go overboard with creative editing, but yeh, a little thing like that is no biggy as far as making it disappear.
I do love that head-on look.
revs wrote: I would have done the same thing Guy, thanks for not taking offense to what i said by the way, some people are touchy about even a gentle critique.
I have thick skin so not a lot fazes me. That said, it's generally accepted that critiques are unwelcome on any decent photography form unless specifically asked for by the poster. I tend to stick by that and highly recommend that everyone else does as well.
revs wrote: I try not to go overboard with creative editing, but yeh, a little thing like that is no biggy as far as making it disappear.
Nor do I. If I would have eliminated that branch before I posted the shot nobody would have ever known. I like to keep it that way. I see too many shots where the contrast is all blown out or it's been over sharpened or too much noise eliminated and I have a tendency to scroll past that stuff.
revs wrote: I do love that head-on look.
It's a nice perspective. I have others of that bird but I prefer that shot. Something else will pop up in time and I'll have something to replace it. That's just how it works.....
Isaac wrote: Mountain Chickadee

Chukar
I've never seen those two before. That's a cute little chickadee that's for sure.
Thanks for posting them Isaac...............

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]