This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By Guyzerr
.... is the reason I post these " common " birds. How anyone can overlook the beauty
in these creatures is beyond me.

American Coots - American Wigeon - Lesser Scaup - Mallard Ducks - Red-winged Blackbird
Wood Ducks which btw are my favorite and it's easy to see why.

I don't discriminate when it comes to birds because for every single species you photograph, there is always an opportunity to better your previous shot.
Some people spend too much time focusing on owls, raptors and the rarities that pop up and to each their own, who am i to judge? but for me, i wouldn't have shot over 900 species (and plan to reach 1000 species photographed this year, hopefully) had i just focused on owls, yes, i'm a collector, always have been, always will be..

Nice set of shots Guy, thanks for sharing :)

The other thing is, if you post to a more international group or forum than this one you realize that that Spotted Towhee you took shots of since there was nothing else to shoot that day will be viewed as a cool and exciting bird by someone in another country who has never seen one, yes, its true :lol:
revs wrote: The other thing is, if you post to a more international group or forum than this one you realize that that Spotted Towhee you took shots of since there was nothing else to shoot that day will be viewed as a cool and exciting bird by someone in another country who has never seen one, yes, its true :lol:
Thanks for your kind words and comments Paul.

On your last paragraph I must say that one doesn't have to think about an audience across the expanse of the world. I have friends in Ontario that would kill for a chance at shooting a Steller's Jay so I post them to my Facebook page whenever I get a good one. :mrgreen: I'm the same way with their Blue Birds and Cardinals. Those are two " common " birds to them and I'd crawl over a mile of broken glass to get them. :lol:
revs wrote:The other thing is, if you post to a more international group or forum than this one you realize that that Spotted Towhee you took shots of since there was nothing else to shoot that day will be viewed as a cool and exciting bird by someone in another country who has never seen one, yes, its true :lol:
Paul, there is still many people here, myself included who think the Spotted Towhee is one of the most gorgeous birds we have in BC. I took a portrait of it at Beaver Lake and that's one of my fave pics I ever took. I've been trying for so long to get a portrait of them since they have such beautiful features. It may be a common bird but there is so much beauty in the common birds. I'm not sure how people could not appreciate them.

Mel
Guy,

Your shots are beautiful. Your Wood Duck portraits are particularly stunning. I don't understand how anyone can overlook the beauty of so called common birds. I was sitting at ambleside on Valentine's Day weekend looking at the ducks and my attention was drawn to the Mallard Drakes. Mallards are the most common duck we have but what a stunning bird. They have so much going on that beautiful green head, that curly tail.

I've been trying hard to get the right Mallard and Coot shot. I really love your American Coot. I photograph Wigeons all the time when I first got my new camera I went to QE park to photograph Wigeons. I get just as much joy shooting my backyard chickadees and woodpeckers as I do a rarity.

Even local Raptors sometimes get overlooked. I am always wondering why some people say oh it's just a red-tailed when you are out birding. Red-tailed Hawks are so beautiful I'm always trying to get the right shot of one same with Bald Eagles. A Golden Eagle is a gorgeous bird but sometimes we forget that the Bald Eagles we see here are just as or even more stunning... that white head, wow its striking.

There are many of us out here who still enjoy the common birds, I'm one of them. I love rarities too but nothing takes away from the beautiful birds we are blessed with right in BC and even locally in the lower mainland.

Thanks for sharing this lovely set.

Cheers,
Mel
birdergirl wrote: There are many of us out here who still enjoy the common birds, I'm one of them. I love rarities too but nothing takes away from the beautiful birds we are blessed with right in BC and even locally in the lower mainland.

Cheers,
Mel
Thanks for the kind words Mel and I'm glad you're in my club. My invitation stands. :wink: lol
Guy, first let me say, that the photos you posted are excellent! I'm most fond of the head shots —outstanding (!!!) AMCO, and great takes on our most colourful duck, the WODU. So keep taking and posting 'em!!

I think Paul and Mel make some very important points, too, about the audiences we reach. I know that even Robin shots are appreciated by folks in Florida and Texas who rarely see them anymore!

Keep up the good work! It's good to see this Forum still doing what it has done so well for so long: encouraging and celebrating BC birders/photographers! :D

Cheers!
Oehoe wrote:Some common species still escape me for decent shots, such as the Steller's jay, pine siskin and American wigeon.

Never give up. If there's a bird you want in time you'll get it if you shoot everything that moves. If you want Wigeons just go to Reifel. There's at least 4 or 5 there right now and at least another 6 will come along shortly. :mrgreen:
keithric wrote:Guy, first let me say, that the photos you posted are excellent! I'm most fond of the head shots —outstanding (!!!) AMCO, and great takes on our most colourful duck, the WODU. So keep taking and posting 'em!!
Well thank you sir. That means a lot to me.
keithric wrote: I think Paul and Mel make some very important points, too, about the audiences we reach. I know that even Robin shots are appreciated by folks in Florida and Texas who rarely see them anymore!
If we only knew who was visiting this site I'm sure we'd be surprised.
keithric wrote: Keep up the good work! It's good to see this Forum still doing what it has done so well for so long: encouraging and celebrating BC birders/photographers! :D

Cheers!
Thanks Keith and the same to you.

It isn't just one or two people that help the site it's numerous people that participate that makes it what it is and I for one would like to see a bit more involvement from others. Just to set the record straight..... yes I am cheerfully complaining. lol
Guyzerr wrote:
birdergirl wrote: There are many of us out here who still enjoy the common birds, I'm one of them. I love rarities too but nothing takes away from the beautiful birds we are blessed with right in BC and even locally in the lower mainland.

Cheers,
Mel
Thanks for the kind words Mel and I'm glad you're in my club. My invitation stands. :wink: lol
Sweet! I may take you up on that ;).

Mel

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]