This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
I just realized that i have posted 58 shots of Song sparrows on my Flickr page and i still don't have one that i consider a "top shot", my mission this year then will be to spend more time with Song sparrows :)

The first pic is the first "little brown job" bird i ever posted back in 2006, digiscoped, all the birds were still new to me back then :lol:
Second shot is from 2010 and a much better take on the species however i see now how it was poorly cropped and too tight, BG is nice as is detail though but i can do better and will.

Thanks for the inspiration Guy :)
revs wrote: Thanks for the inspiration Guy :)
My pleasure. I'm pleasantly surprised and happy that this thread has generated some good dialogue with reference to the common bird. That said I hate to do this to you but I feel like poking the bear this morning. :mrgreen:

Nice set of shots, Guy! And I know that Paulo and Mel and many others often post stunning shots of "common" birds that inspire me to go out and try to improve my photography. Keep them coming!

Vince
revs wrote:Nice one!
...although the small branch in front of bird is something that would make me cry inside a little bit, all the more reason to get out there for a retake :wink:
No need for a retake when a person uses an editing program. I must have been lazy when I first uploaded that shot. It should be better now and with a few more minutes the other junk could be eliminated as well. :mrgreen:

Vince wrote:Nice set of shots, Guy! And I know that Paulo and Mel and many others often post stunning shots of "common" birds that inspire me to go out and try to improve my photography. Keep them coming!

Vince
Thanks Vince. I think I'll follow your advice. Matter of fact I went to the Heron Sanctuary today and did just that. I haven't looked at the shots yet but if there's something there I'll post them.
Great shots of "common" birds everyone!

I too usually try to get better shots of our common birds here, as a photographer I'm always trying to do better.
Although I must admit unless the conditions are really good I do tend to pass them by, after all some sunshine is what really makes the colours on those Wood Ducks, Mallards, Wigeons ... pop out! :wink:
birdergirl wrote:Guy, nice shots love the Anna's but it just doesn't get better than a Black-capped Chickadee. Everytime I hear their joyful calls and songs I can't help but feel happy. Hope I get a successful brood again this year.

Cheers,
Mel
Thanks Mel....

I've always liked them a lot as well and spent quite a bit of time reading about them. Besides being pretty they are smart all at the same time.
Great thread Paul!

I spend a lot of time sitting on my back porch photographing whatever comes near the feeders. I spend more on food for the birds than I do on myself! lol The birds do reward me by providing photo ops of common guys like this Red-shafted Flicker which I think is one of the most handsome birds around!

ImageFlicker M snow2s by BirderBert, on Flickr
Great thread.

Fun seeing ducks sliding on ice this last winter (Mallard)

Great Blue Herons are common in lower mainland. I really love its meditative pondering position.

I hope it doesn't sound like an insult when I say "Gulls all look alike" but they are sure graceful and actually beautiful when you look closely. (Ring Billed)

Surf scoters are common when you live in the lower mainland. However, they are so beautiful and fun to watch them swallowing whole clams!
By Doug
revs wrote:I don't discriminate when it comes to birds because for every single species you photograph, there is always an opportunity to better your previous shot.
Some people spend too much time focusing on owls, raptors and the rarities that pop up and to each their own, who am i to judge? but for me, i wouldn't have shot over 900 species (and plan to reach 1000 species photographed this year, hopefully) had i just focused on owls, yes, i'm a collector, always have been, always will be..

Nice set of shots Guy, thanks for sharing :)

The other thing is, if you post to a more international group or forum than this one you realize that that Spotted Towhee you took shots of since there was nothing else to shoot that day will be viewed as a cool and exciting bird by someone in another country who has never seen one, yes, its true :lol:
Exactly my sentiments too.
I enjoy all and post all.
By Doug
Guyzerr wrote:
revs wrote: The other thing is, if you post to a more international group or forum than this one you realize that that Spotted Towhee you took shots of since there was nothing else to shoot that day will be viewed as a cool and exciting bird by someone in another country who has never seen one, yes, its true :lol:
Thanks for your kind words and comments Paul.

On your last paragraph I must say that one doesn't have to think about an audience across the expanse of the world. I have friends in Ontario that would kill for a chance at shooting a Steller's Jay so I post them to my Facebook page whenever I get a good one. :mrgreen: I'm the same way with their Blue Birds and Cardinals. Those are two " common " birds to them and I'd crawl over a mile of broken glass to get them. :lol:
and I would love to shoot the bluejays they have in Ontario.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]