This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By MDB8
Although Winter weather is still a threat, many birds are transitioning into breeding plumage. Some, of course, migrate into the Lower Mainland already in breeding plumage. Swallows, for example. I also came upon a flock of nicely coloured American Goldfinch a few days ago. Likewise, during a walk along a trail I encountered at least 10 Rufous Hummingbirds. They also arrive ready to breed.

Some species lurk in the area during Winter and we can observe their change over.

For example, many Bonaparte’s Gulls were present at White Rock in November/December. Now, though, if you encounter a flock of these Gulls, you may just find one with a black head. Like this photo.

Late last year we had a sighting of a Yellow-billed Loon. Much more difficult to ID in winter plumage. Now our Common Loons are transitioning over and their bills are turning black. Like this photo – and a bonus photo of its back. (I’m trying to capture more atypical poses.)

The various overwintering Grebes are evolving too. This Red-necked Grebe is starting to change its bill colour to yellow and brighten up its neck colour.

The Horned Grebes are also changing, getting their gold on. When their gold feathers appear, you can understand why they are named “Horned” Grebes. Little gold “horns” appear on them. And why not another head-on photo?

But what follows in the reason I dumped the memory card today. Years ago, when I started this retirement hobby, I recall walking out the South Jetty at Iona. At that time I had no reference books and relied upon others to ID birds for me. I noticed a Loon that I thought was injured as it had what appeared to be blood on its neck. On my return walk I mentioned this to someone who was heading out and had asked me if there was anything interesting out there. When I described the Loon and showed him the photo, he told me it was a Red-throated Loon. Subsequently, I have seen many RT Loons, but never one with a red throat. Until today (April 9). The bird appeared for mere seconds and I waited around for over an hour hoping to get another look (and better photos) of it. I did observe as many as 5 on the surface at one time, but all had white necks. I may have spotted the one with the red throat, but it was extremely far out.

I have put up a few more photos onto the Flickr account. I expect to add a few more Prelim photos in a day or so.
By SueCoastalObserver
Interesting series Roger, great shots of these birds as we only see them so briefly as the seasons change. Coincidentally some of your shots are look a-likes to mine, as though we had been side by side . . . enjoyed meeting you yesterday! Your Red-necked Grebe turned out beautifully especially knowing the distance you were shooting from.
By stcalico
Cool. Interesting to see this. Love the back of the loon.. looks like a starry night.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]