This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By MDB8
I’m positive that many Birders are aware of the new Sony A9 camera. It has every feature in a body that I would want – except for one, maybe two.

It is a 24 MP full-frame model. It uses an electronic shutter and is mirrorless. It can take stills at 20fps. As it uses an electronic shutter and is mirrorless, when it is shooting, it makes no noise. Birds, as we all know, are alerted by the sound of a camera shutter.

Sony uses in-body image stabilization. This feature should make lenses cheaper, but alas Sony’s lenses are generally more expensive than those from Canon which use in-lens image stabilization. However, improvements to Sony’s system are attainable by a body upgrade, whereas when Canon or Nikon improve their stabilization technology, it can only be obtained by purchasing new lenses, sometimes many new lenses.

Interest in this new Sony camera body is so strong that I have seen articles examining the cost of switching from Canon to Sony. The cost of such a switch is of course linked to the number and quality of lenses a current Canon/Nikon user has. When Sony first started to make DSLR camera bodies, I did purchase one along with a couple of lenses. It was a nice camera, but at that time the selection of available lenses was insufficient for my needs. I sold it. Subsequently Sony has come a long way with their cameras and the company has moved to the forefront with respect to innovation.

The new Sony A9 is packed with whiz-bang features. Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi, 4k video, etc.

I currently use a Canon 7D Mark II which has a 20 MP sensor. However, it is also an APS-C sensor, which means it is a smaller sensor than that of the Sony A9. For example, a 600mm lens attached to this Canon is equivalent to a 960mm lens if attached to the Sony A9. This difference is often critical. I’ve watched users of the Canon 100mm – 400mm zoom lens struggle to get closer to their desired subjects. Birders always want longer lenses (and lighter ones too). Now, if Sony comes out with a similar body, but one with an APS-C sensor of 24 MP, I’ll probably switch from Canon – unless in the meantime Canon starts to add useful features. I also like GPS marking, a feature the new Sony A9 lacks.

One reason I have started to use more Sigma lenses is that they offer a service to switch the lens mount from one body to another. E.g., from Canon to Sony. This service minimizes the cost of switching systems. There are converter kits to allow the mounting of one system’s lenses to the bodies of another system, but people have claimed that such converters degrade the image quality.

If you’re a beginner photographer of birds, I’d give serious consideration of using the Sony system. If you have extensive sunk costs in another system, just keep watching and evaluate the new features of new models like the Sony A9. If you win the lottery, try a Sony.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]