This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By MDB8
I am particular about nosy websites. When I started my Flickr account I gave them a fake name as I saw no reason why they needed such information - other than to aggregate data on me. Nowadays, when I sign on, I am always asked for my mobile number, ostensibly for password "security" reasons. No, they're just being nosy. (And of course as Yahoo was the subject of the largest security breach in internet history, I am confident that no useful information about me was gleaned by the hackers.)

Recently, all my images on my Flickr page went blank. If I ran the mouse icon over the area where the photos were, I determined that the images were still present, but that I could not see them. If I went into "Edit" mode, then they appeared.

After some investigation, I determined that a browser Add-on I use, Privacy Badger, had blocked the images, noting the presence of web bugs and trackers. I was using the default settings of this Add-on (to Firefox). I set it to ignore Flickr and all the images re-appeared.

Then this morning, they were gone again. I checked Privacy Badger and it was turned off for Flickr. I checked with my Anti-virus package, Kaspersky, and discovered that it had blocked 3 "web beacons" and several "web analytics" from the Flickr website. Again, this is the default setting for Kaspersky. It was this security blocking that stopped the images from appearing.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Now I know I can turn off this Kaspersky feature for this website and the images will return, but I don't like this solution. A very nosy company is Yahoo.

Also, I haven't tested this, but I expect that the default settings of Internet Explorer will continue to allow the display of images. Microsoft is all for the gathering of personal data and is unlikely to block such minor intrusions. I have observed many instances where IE allows execution of code on web pages that Firefox stops. I use both browsers, but prefer Firefox. (Another Firefox Add-on called NoScript stops execution of Javascript on websites unless I decide otherwise.)
By BirderBert
I too used to use Firefox but noticed the greying out of lots of images a week or so ago. I assumed it was a Flickr problem but upon using IE and Microsoft Edge, everything worked fine. I switched back to Firefox just to make sure and encountered the same problems!
By Robert
If you're using Windows, try ABP on Internet Explorer as a browsing solution.
By northvanrob
The constant nags for info from Flickr as well from Yahoo mail who owns Flickr who is now owned by Verizon. It's all going downhill very fast.

I as well have problems viewing Flickr with Firefox, first was how photos were viewed as older first viewed but Firefox just shows the latest photo first. In Google Chrome I see how it is meant to see.

Now I get blank panels where photos were, I disable adblock plus but still see nothing.
By MDB8
I think Firefox can give me more control with my links to the internet, but...

You can search for Add-ons that stop needless intrusions. I set up Firefox to allow cookies, but to erase them when signing off from the browser. However it's trickier than you might think. When you do this and check your cookies upon signon, you will find no cookies, but...

Firefox uses Flash cookies and never erases those. Again Kaspersky alerted me to odd things. For example, Kaspersky has advised me that it blocked an encrypted link from my PC to Best Buy Canada. Weird, I thought, as I hadn't looked at Best Buy's website for weeks. Kaspersky found several such links and blocked them.

So now I use the Better Privacy add-on and erase my Flash cookies upon starting Firefox. Every time Firefox starts, it regenerates this Flash cookie and I just erase it again for the current session.

My current plan is to continue to use Firefox for Flickr connections, but restrict Kaspersky for the website. Or, if the problme continues, then just use the "Edit" view where the photos appear. Upon finishing the session, re-engage Kaspersky, logoff Flickr, and carry on. I also have the TOR browser installed. Perhaps I'll try it with Flickr and see what happens. (If you don't know what TOR is, look it up. A sort of "Shove it" to personal intrusions.)

They must be embedding tracking code in the JPEGs or else linking the JPEGs to tracking code. If I used IE or Edge or likely other browsers I don't think I would be aware of what Flickr/Yahoo is doing. I don't plan on ever using Chrome as a browser. Google's recording of personal info is NSA-like.
By cbaarch
The blank pages showed up a few times lately but Flickr mostly works; I just move on doing something else when it happens.

I have a Pro account and use a Private Window in firefox for every session +AdBlocker and Kaspersky; I have yet to see any other issues. I do not get the mobile # request.
I am only keeping my Pro account to see Stats.

as for what they collect; well that horse has been out of the barn for a while and it aint coming back (-:
By Guyzerr
BirderBert wrote:I too used to use Firefox but noticed the greying out of lots of images a week or so ago. I assumed it was a Flickr problem but upon using IE and Microsoft Edge, everything worked fine. I switched back to Firefox just to make sure and encountered the same problems!
It was a Flickr problem when using FF. If you remember FF just updated a little while ago. It will probably go away in the next update. I've only seen it once, last week, so it's probably been resolved already.

It isn't some big conspiracy thing and nothing to worry about.
By Guyzerr
MDB8 wrote: Nowadays, when I sign on, I am always asked for my mobile number, ostensibly for password "security" reasons. No, they're just being nosy.
Couple of things....
By logging on you are triggering the request for your phone number. Just stay logged in. When you're done just jump to another web site.

The request for the phone number is in case your account is hacked and your password changed by someone else other that yourself. With them having your number you can log in and reset your password.

From what I've read you are way too suspicious. I used to be and had my system locked down like Ft. Knox but now I'm just reasonably cautious of protecting myself on a reasonable basis. As FDR said "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

My ISP is Shaw and I use their supplied web / virus protection and have never, I repeat never had an issue. Kaspersky was great in it's day... 20+ years ago but way over rated today. Just my opinion.

I also use two free apps and have been for years. They look after everything after the fact. Both have paid versions but I've never used them. The free ones work just fine.
1- SUPERAntiSpyware.... link... http://www.superantispyware.com/

2- Malwarebyte ... link... https://www.malwarebytes.com/
By MDB8
I read the forum thread that Rob supplied and think I shall stay with my own diagnosis. Privacy intrusion.

The first time I noticed this problem, the Flickr Photostream returned instantly upon my exempting Flickr from Privacy Badger monitoring. Privacy Badger will block links that are intended to gather personal data. It has been developed by the Electronic Frontier Foundation which also developed TOR.

I would guess that the reason that Flickr Techs are suggesting turning off Firefox Add-ons generically is that they knew exactly which ones are causing the problem but don't want to publicly state that it is the security-orientated Add-ons.

I also think that the Flickr/Yahoo Techs are fiddling with this issue and that's why it comes and goes randomly. They are trying to develop code that will satisfy the Add-ons (trick them) and when end users make changes to their set-ups at the same time it is difficult to determine causality.

Clearly Flickr wishes to monetarize personal data collection. Why else would they add web beacons and web analytics to their web pages? Note by default I maintain Javascript Off when I visit Flickr. With Javascript set to Off, Kaspersky sees no web beacons and no web analytics on the Flickr page. However, instantly, upon turning Javascript to On, Kaspersky detects these items on the page. (If I leave Javascript Off, the photostream statistics remain invisible.)

Anyway, I just took another look at my Flickr page and it is now showing the Photostream, but the number of web beacons is less than previously (when the Photostream was absent). It was showing - and blocking - 3 web beacons, but now is showing - and blocking - just one. Another indication that the Flickr/Yahoo Techs know what the problem is, but are likely still trying to fool the detection programs (or maybe they have fooled Kaspersky this time).

Suspicious Mike
By Robert
If you don't trust it, don't assume something you buy or download for free is going to protect you. If you don't trust it, don't interact with it...

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]