This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By MDB8
I like to make at least one trip to the Okanagan per year. This year I delayed the trip, fearing some flooding in areas I like to search - like Road 22 with the one-way bridge. I didn't bother looking for some species but did peruse the thick foliage near Road 22. I always hear Yellow-breasted Chats there, but never see them. I did catch a few glimpses of Veerys and heard their calls. The foliage/cover was thicker than if I had gone there earlier, making sightings more difficult.

But on the way, I did manage to catch a modest look at a male American Three-toed Woodpecker. Previously I had only spotted females.

I also wandered up Anarchist Mountain to look for the Williamson's Sapsucker. Lucked out on this search as, if I even find them, they are usually belly-to-tree-trunk. This male was some distance away and faced me for a few seconds. A stunningly coloured bird. The body is dark green if you can see it in sunlight.

I also wanted to find a male Calliope Hummingbird. Alas, instead, I found several females and started to wonder if the males had already departed, their job being completed.

Someone told me that there were some recent hatchlings of California Quail about and I did catch a brief glimpse of them scuttling about. Even when so young they are very quick movers when in the open.

Later I visited a location where Lewis's Woodpecker are often nesting. Lucked out in finding a couple, including one which had some sunlight on him.

At the same location I had noticed a pair of Mourning Doves sitting in a distant tree and ignored them, as they were too far away. However, while I was warding off a pesky female Hummer (flew within inches of my eyes and all around me), the Doves flew into a nearby tree. So atypical. Beautiful lighting in the shade. Seemed to have very large eyes.

Lastly, at a random stop I found many nice birds. I was looking down from the road side onto a location with lots of foliage. Many Woodpeckers and Sapsuckers were flying about. I could hear Warblers and see swooping Flycatchers. One curious Warbler came close and I could not resist this shot (MacGillivray's)

I did encounter a Boreal Chickadee at elevation (and a Varying Hare). I saw the pinkish sides of the Chickadee in a tree near me, but everytime I aimed my camera it flew to a new location. Finally I could not relocate it, but continued to hear its unique call. Also I did manage a brief encounter with a male Calliope Hummingbird, but when I started to move my camera to aim at him, he flew off and I couldl not relocate him. Ditto with Cassin's Finches. A few other birds on the Flickr page.

As an addendum, at this random location, I saw a male Yellow-breasted Chat (but obscured for a photo). As this was a random stop, I doubt that this location is known for Chats.
By Steely
Some outstanding captures here Mike! The Williamsons are particularly sweet!
I'm heading up to Oliver for a permanent move in a couple of weeks and I am really looking forward to all the opportunities the area holds. I seem to have lost most of the season this year with the move prep etc.
You managed some great finds on your trip with these beauties!

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]