This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By LoganLalonde
Nice shots! Ring-bills are pretty common the more south you go on the island; Victoria has quite a few. The ferry between Vic and Tsawwassen has a lot as well, and Boundary Bay has several hundred.

Good birding!
By Jeremy Gatten
The distribution of Ring-billed Gull is quirky on Vancouver Island, but they are absolutely not most common in the Victoria area. I think they are most common in areas with extensive mudflats, which is a sparse commodity in Victoria. Duncan is less than 50 km from Victoria the way the Ring-billed Gull flies and the Cowichan River Estuary can have over a hundred of them. The Royston waterfront also seems to have a much higher concentration of Ring-billed Gulls, too. We certainly have some interesting disparities in abundance on Vancouver Island and when comparing Vancouver Island to the adjacent Lower Mainland.

Nice to see you're tackling the gulls. We need more eyes looking at gulls because there is some tremendous potential for rarities. Take, for instance, the recent, astounding record of Swallow-tailed Gull just across the Salish Sea (Juan de Fuca Strait) at Carkeek Park in Seattle! Obviously that is an extreme example, but we have potential for: Ross's Gull, Little Gull, Black-headed Gull, Ivory Gull, Franklin's Gull, Laughing Gull, Slaty-backed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Glaucous Gull, Iceland Gull (the real kind), Black-tailed Gull, and Red-legged Kittiwake. Some of those are ridiculously rare, but all have been recorded as vagrants along the Pacific coastline in BC, Washington, and Oregon.

Keep up the good work!

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, BC
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]