This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By zwest
revs wrote:
zwest wrote:
jewill wrote:Thank you Frank and ogopogo.
I was there from about 10:30 to 11:30 so definitely not dawn or dusk. I have no idea if they are resident there and plan to stick around for breeding but wouldn’t that be great?! I will have to go back in a few weeks and check on them. If I am fortunate enough to observe nesting behaviour and then offspring you can count on it that I will post pictures. You’ve peaked my interest now.
Yea Zach! I hope you got some pictures in spite of the rain. If so, let’s see some.
I got some pictures but they're not exactly dazzling (I added one to my page in the link below). I may go back later his week when the sun is shining to get an "upgrade". :D
Just checked out your site again, impressive variety of birds, and your snipe is nice!
Thanks Paul, it's a work in progress and some of the images are not the greatest yet (check out my orange-crowned warbler, lol) but it's a fun process.
By jewill
Thanks Debra. If you want a local Snipe that is definitely the place to go.
I think your Snipe shot Zach is really good; you got a nice low point-of-view. And you do have an impressive site there.
It seems a lot of us are having trouble getting a decent shot of this secretive bird. Like Zach said this place is crawling with them but Adam said something about them moving on soon. So if you want to get one, now’s the time to go. It’s easy to find, ample parking and lots of seating. The only thing that’s missing is beverage service! :D
By SueCoastalObserver
Thank you Judy (Jewill) and Adam (Owlett), for sharing your Snipe spotting. In doing so you enabled me to see a new lifer, so appreciated.

I went out Friday morning just in time to see the Snipe fly off and disappear into the distance, hung around for another 1/2 hour but no luck.

Tried again Saturday morning; this time I went armed with a take out coffee determined to wait as long as needed. However this time as soon as I reached the view point I saw movement and sure enough there were Snipe! In rushing to put down my coffee cup I promptly dumped coffee over my camera, having no towel, of course I frantically dried it off with the bottom of my shirt. All was fine in the long run other than that I smelled like a giant cup of Tim Hortons. First and last time I carry an open coffee when birding.

The Snipe were a challenge to photograph, scooting quickly when they came into the open only to disappear again behind a tuft of grass; very well camouflaged when they stopped moving. However there were numerous opportunities as long as I was patient waiting for the next movement to tip me off as to where they were.

Thank you again for sharing!
ImageWilson's Snipe - 094A4504c1c4 by Sue Coastal Observer, on Flickr
By jewill
I’m so glad you got your lifer Sue and 4 in one shot...that’s amazing! Congratulations!
It was Adam who tipped me off to this spot, so he gets all the thanks.
By zwest
OK now I need a guaranteed spot like this for American Dippers. :lol:

I stopped by again on Friday morning as well, and this time they weren't flying at all and seemed to mostly be sleeping or preening. But a few did sluggishly come into view.

By jewill
Nice ones Zach.
I finally got my dipper in 2015 near the entrance to DeBoville Slough in Port Coquitlam. There was only 1 bird in the little creek that runs alongside Cedar Drive so I think I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I’ve heard that the Capilano River Hatchery in North Van is usually good for them, but not when I was there (again, a few years ago). Good luck on your quest for a dipper!
By jewill
I am glad that so many people are getting such good photos of these birds.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]