This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By jewill
Thank you Adam (Owlet)! I went to Steves Farm in Richmond this morning hoping to see the ever elusive Snipe. Just like you said, far end of Steveston Hwy (small parking lot there - max 6 cars; but street parking is available). Very short walk up onto the dyke, and they even have several benches and picnic tables for us old folks to park our butts on! I didn't see anything for about 10 minutes but then there was a flurry of activity and about 6 of them flew in and landed maybe 50 feet away. Then another 4 or so and they landed even closer.

Wilson's Snipe by Jewill, on Flickr

I checked on the Blue Jay on the way home but after 30 minutes didn't see him. Oh well, it was still a successful birding day. Thanks again Adam...the tip was much appreciated.
By jewill
Thank you Jdunster, Keithmac, Owlet and zwest for your kind comments.
I know how everyone feels about getting a good photo of a Snipe; it eluded me for years which is why I was so interested when Adam mentioned this particular spot. I would encourage anyone to go there - like I said there are plenty of seats so it has to be the easiest "wait-it-out" bird outing I've ever done!
By jewill
Thanks Paul. You should definitely check this spot out.
By ogopogo
super shot Judy. what time in the morning did you see them? just curious because Wiki says they forage at dawn & dusk and sleep during the day, so maybe that's why they are hard to spot.
do you know when they might have offspring? looking forward to those shots too.
By zwest
I stopped by at this spot today at around 2:15 and I can confirm: it's infested with snipes.

:lol:

There were many active ones, typically you first see them flying and then they'll vanish as soon as they land. The trick is to keep your eyes on the more exposed spots and eventually one will land there.

I saw maybe a dozen in a very small area.
By jewill
Thank you Frank and ogopogo.
I was there from about 10:30 to 11:30 so definitely not dawn or dusk. I have no idea if they are resident there and plan to stick around for breeding but wouldn’t that be great?! I will have to go back in a few weeks and check on them. If I am fortunate enough to observe nesting behaviour and then offspring you can count on it that I will post pictures. You’ve peaked my interest now.
Yea Zach! I hope you got some pictures in spite of the rain. If so, let’s see some.
By zwest
jewill wrote:Thank you Frank and ogopogo.
I was there from about 10:30 to 11:30 so definitely not dawn or dusk. I have no idea if they are resident there and plan to stick around for breeding but wouldn’t that be great?! I will have to go back in a few weeks and check on them. If I am fortunate enough to observe nesting behaviour and then offspring you can count on it that I will post pictures. You’ve peaked my interest now.
Yea Zach! I hope you got some pictures in spite of the rain. If so, let’s see some.
I got some pictures but they're not exactly dazzling (I added one to my page in the link below). I may go back later his week when the sun is shining to get an "upgrade". :D
By revs
zwest wrote:
jewill wrote:Thank you Frank and ogopogo.
I got some pictures but they're not exactly dazzling (I added one to my page in the link below). I may go back later his week when the sun is shining to get an "upgrade". :D
Just checked out your site again, impressive variety of birds, and your snipe is nice!

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]